LCD display for DIY video housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the details!

If you get a chance, could you report on the brightness and contrast of that monitor in above-water, sunny conditions? Non-direct sun and shaded would be fine.

I have a home-built drop/towed video camera for assessing bottom conditions and I want a smaller monitor. I need to be able to see scallops on the bottom where the ambient light is low, so good contrast helps.... :D

It'll be interesting to hear how good an image your monitor has underwater, too!

Interesting project! Thanks for posting this project! :)

Dave C

Not sure on the brightness and contrast as I tested it indoors. To me it looked about the same as the monitor on my Sony Handycam. If they are the same size display, I'll try using my 35mm camera to see what the exposure time would be for each. Set the monitors the same distance from the camera and I guess that should give me some idea of how bright they are in comparison to each other. I'll try to get it outside to check the contrast in some natural light if the sky will clear up a bit and quit raining. I have a second video camera so maybe I could shoot what I see in video and post it on youtube or something so you can see first hand.

Not sure on the brightness and contrast as I tested it indoors. To me it looked about the same as the monitor on my Sony Handycam. If they are the same size display, I'll try using my 35mm camera to see what the exposure time would be for each. Set the monitors the same distance from the camera and I guess that should give me some idea of how bright they are in comparison to each other. I'll try to get it outside to check the contrast in some natural light if the sky will clear up a bit and quit raining. I have a second video camera so maybe I could shoot what I see in video and post it on youtube or something so you can see first hand.

Wow, I really wouldn't want you to go to THAT much effort, but thanks! :)

For my purposes, your subjective opinion would suffice, especially since you have other devices against which to compare. :D

Again, I appreciate your offer, but only do it if that higher level of comparison is of interest to yourself! (AND THEN be sure to post!) :)

Dave C

Some place on the board there is also a post that I made about my DIY. I didn't start the thread but posted to it.

The monitor looks about the same brightness with the colors a little cooler / blueish than on the JVC Everio I was using for comparison. The exposure time for a screen shot was a little longer for the monitor, but the Everio has a widescreen so more light is put out - pretty close to my eye. Contrast looked pretty good. Attached a photo showing the monitor beside the JVC camera for a visual reference.

Attachments

• IMG_1103_2.jpg
    IMG_1103_2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
The monitor looks about the same brightness with the colors a little cooler / blueish than on the JVC Everio I was using for comparison. The exposure time for a screen shot was a little longer for the monitor, but the Everio has a widescreen so more light is put out - pretty close to my eye. Contrast looked pretty good. Attached a photo showing the monitor beside the JVC camera for a visual reference.

Excellent! The contrast definitely looks good to me! That monitor would work very well for my application, I think, and even better for yours. Keep us informed on your progress!

Thanks again for the pic! :)

Dave C

Ran a test yesterday with the monitor running on rechargeable batteries to see how long the batteries would last. I figured with 8 normal AA I would have the 12v that it uses based on my original info, but was concerned that my rechargeable batteries show 1.2v instead of 1.5v; 8 was only going to give me 9.6v. I decided to test it anyhow using the eight rechargeable AA size batteries; it seemed to work fine. (I later found info from another seller that the range 9v-15v will work) Ran the monitor off of my video camera feed so the test should be a good representation.

Results: after 11 hours I gave up on the batteries going dead.

That more than covers a two tank trip even if I pull a bonehead move and only turn off the video camera but leave the monitor on the entire time - it will happen :dork2:. The monitor goes black to save power if it has no input signal so I am sure it would last much longer at that point. I think I am going to end up using AAA batteries as they should still last 4 hours or more (based on the AA having 2500 mAh and the AAA having 900 mAh).

hey i was just wondering how its all going with your housing and lcd monitor?

also how to did you run the power from the batteries to the dc input on the lcd monitor.?

thank you

It worked very well at depth, though the viewing angle wasn't as convenient as I'd hoped. I hold the housing below me, almost at chest level if I'm vertical, somewhat away from my body, and that works fine, but when horizontal, it feels awkward to hold it where I can see the monitor clearly. I didn't get a chance to get used to it, because I flooded the housing on the third dive in Coz, (not a fault of the housing. I really should have installed the o ring before submerging.:dork2:). The clarity and resolution were good, and viewing at an angle wasn't a problem either.
I also just ran wires from a 9v battery clip to the power leads of the monitor, modding a little slide switch into the monitor that I could actuate with the menu control arm. That all worked very well. I haven't redone everything with the new monitor and camera yet, but I will before going to Hawaii next April fer sher.
I don't think I'll ever visually check the O ring without noticing that it's entirely missing again!!:bonk:

hey i was just wondering how its all going with your housing and lcd monitor?

also how to did you run the power from the batteries to the dc input on the lcd monitor.?

thank you

2nd question first: I used two enclosed 4 'AAA' battery holders that I picked up at Radioshack - cost about $2; I think it was Model: 27-411 | Catalog #: 270-411 if you want to look it up.

It's SO much easier seeing what you are filming instead of just pointing and hoping for the best. Took some video in Key Largo - as my luck would have it there were some storms passing by that made visibility poor and water rough (one of the crew told me 6-7' waves on one trip!). Short clip on youtube from the trip - sorry no sound was added so it is a dull video: YouTube - KeyLargo 2010 YouTube.m4v

Note to self (and anyone else wanting to learn from my mistakes): if planning to dive relatively shallow (say 30-40') and using a filter to correct for color, you may want to remove the filter if the dive trip gets changed to a deeper site (say over 90'). Especially true if water is silted up - not much shows up in the dark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom