Layering Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I purchased an Xcel Xpedition 1.5/1.0/.5 back in the summer and I also own a NeoSport 3/2mm. I've never used the Xcel Xpedition but when I purchased it one of the LDS owners said that it was as warm as a 3mm! That suprised me quite alot and I purchased it for warm water dives. (If anyone has experience about this statement in reguards to the xcel expiditon please let me know as this sounds fishy to me but I'm a noobie).
Now that it's winter and the water is quite cold now 45deg. to 60deg. F. I'm wandering how well layering the Xpedition under my 3/2 jumpsuit would work? I wear my suits a little tight as to min. any water flow. Any ideas on what to expect? Any one of you do this with wetsuits.
I've dove the 3/2 with a 6mm jacket over it and was VERY warm in 49F water. I'm a little overweight and have good "bio-prene" layer too, :D
I just wanted to know what everyone thought before I go to the lake and try this out. Especially wanted to know about the warmth quality of the Xcel Xpedition.

Thanks,
Jeremy

While awaiting the delivery of my 3mil suit a few years back I used a 2 mil with a 1mil over the top. It's warmer than just the 2 but not as good as the 3mm. I would wear the thicker one underneath. If water gets in at all you'll have more insulation than if the thinner one is underneath. One suit (right for the temperature) is better than two, imho.

Back
Top Bottom