Lavacore vrs Sharkskin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used a Lavacore hooded vest for almost two years now. Despite the weird fitting (armholes are too small for the proper size fitting and I went for the next size up where the arm holes are massive) it works well, but I will be replacing it with something else when the time comes.

Any updates? Due to a weird upwelling of cold water on a recent Caribbean trip, my 3mm wasn't enough. Everyone was freezing! One of our buddies had come extremely were prepared and had a few Lavacore items and was willing to share. I was pleased with the shortsleeve top.

But now, I'd like to get my own. Yes, I know the Lavacore did the trick but it was slow to dry and quite heavy when wet.

At my LDS the other day, found myself looking at both Lavacore and Sharkskin. The Sharkskin seemed lighter weight, which is always important for divers that fly to destinations.

Anyone able to update and/or offer a review in these regards. TIA

I have been looking at both and have not found a fit I like yet. I just purchased the Bare 1 mm Sport flex hooded vest as an additional layer. Used it on two dives so far it worked well. Much better feel and fit than the lavacore and sharkskin hooded vest or shirt. I wore it under a 5 mil and used it instead of using a 3/2 hood in 68-70 degree water and it worked well. I plan on using it also as a warm water layer, either by itself or under a 2 mil shorty and/or with a 1.5 Neosport Xspan shirt. It is also much less expensive.

The Bare product you describe is not neutrally buoyant which is what I seek. :)

So I purchased a sharkskin chill proof hooded long sleeve. Only have three dives with it but here is are my initial impressions. First, the fit and feel for me was much better than the Lavacore counterpart. For warmth it has its pluses and minues. It does provide a layer of comfort and some warmth worn by itself or under a shorty, but so far I think a 1.5 mil xspan neosport shirt for a 1/3 of the price is warmer under water as water does not flow thru the xpsan material but does with the Sharkskin. The big plus however is the Sharkskin is warm and comfortable above water where the xspan immediately feels cold above water. xpsan takes a long time to dry and the sharkskin takes time too but can be put on wet and not feel cold. Not so for the xspan. My suggestion is if you are looking for a layer that you will be using for one dive then taking off to be used later once dry, xspan is cheaper and warmer. On the otherhand if you are looking for a layer that provides warmth above and below, doing multiple dives the Sharkskin may be worth the extra money

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom