Lavacore pro's/con's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lavacore/sharkskin/Thermocline

All the same basic material- different branding.

Generally they're equal to 2.5mm from my experience 2mm

Over time they will stretch especially when removed wet. They do also absorb body oils so need to go in the shower with you (every 2nd day) on a trip

Mine is a long sleeve top with the neck seal to prevent flushing. Mine has seen better day after 4 years/500 dives. but it owes me nothing

Big advantage for layering that they're neutrally buoyant.

Excellent for keeping wind off and sun off. Will drip dry on you whilst keeping you warm.

For drying in between dives, give them a ring out to remove most water and hang inside out

Figured I would bump this instead of starting a new thread. I'm thinking of getting a Lavacore to wear under a rented 7mm wetsuit for a dive in water that will probably be in the high 50s, maybe low 60s F if I'm lucky. I can easily rent a hood with the wetsuit, but I'm wondering if a Lavacore with an integrated hood would be better. Not sure if I want a full or jacket style. Any recommendations or ideas for things to consider would be appreciated.

Also I've heard of pouring warm water into your wetsuit before splashing in, and I'm thinking of getting a thermos for that purpose. This feels like a really stupid question, but to those who have done this, how do you get the water to the right temperature so that it's still warm when you're ready to use it, but not scalding?
I think a Lavacore hood is borderline protection for the temps you describe. Success may depend on whether you tend to run hot or cold, and just how long you spend in the water. I haven't ever tried layering hoods for more warmth.
But if you have another scenario where a Lavacore hooded shirt or vest will also be used, then no harm in trying.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I ended up getting a Sharkskin jacket without a hood. It made a noticeable difference on repetitive dives in the temperate waters off Cabo last weekend when layered under a 5mm; hopefully it (plus a 7mm) helps keep my wussy butt from freezing right off when I brave Catalina next weekend.

I had an issue with the shoulder straps of my rented BCD chafing the side of my neck, though. I still have my turtleneck-style rash guard, which may have helped prevent this in the past and which I didn't use this time. If I were to wear the rash guard under the Sharkskin, would that limit the effectiveness of the Sharkskin? Supposedly it wicks moisture away from the skin, which the rash guard definitely doesn't do. But that probably wouldn't matter until I'm out of the water, if at all, right?

Also, somewhat off-topic, but if the shoulder straps are rubbing my neck, does that mean I need a bigger or smaller size? Or just to adjust the straps?

Yes, wicking is only meaningful above the water.
You are renting a BCD, so you may be getting something different every time. Could be size, could be the way that model fits you, or it could be the way it is adjusted on you.
One general note - if it has a sternum strap, tighten that last. I see a lot of people tighten that all the way before they have snugged their shoulder straps, and it pulls the BCD into shapes that are not intended.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I ended up getting a Sharkskin jacket without a hood. It made a noticeable difference on repetitive dives in the temperate waters off Cabo last weekend when layered under a 5mm; hopefully it (plus a 7mm) helps keep my wussy butt from freezing right off when I brave Catalina next weekend.

I had an issue with the shoulder straps of my rented BCD chafing the side of my neck, though. I still have my turtleneck-style rash guard, which may have helped prevent this in the past and which I didn't use this time. If I were to wear the rash guard under the Sharkskin, would that limit the effectiveness of the Sharkskin? Supposedly it wicks moisture away from the skin, which the rash guard definitely doesn't do. But that probably wouldn't matter until I'm out of the water, if at all, right?

Also, somewhat off-topic, but if the shoulder straps are rubbing my neck, does that mean I need a bigger or smaller size? Or just to adjust the straps?
I dove my Sharkskin and a 5mm full suit with hood and gloves in 50F fresh water down to 43 ft (the bottom) and while maybe a little chilled I was never cold or uncomfortable. And I was in the water every dive (mostly on the surface with 15+ mph winds) at least 20-30 minutes longer than everyone else. I was pretty cold when I got out but in the water I was fine.

The guys at my local shop have been raving about Lavacore for some time. (one guy even wears his under his clothes on hunting trips) I resisted trying them because my skin is oversensitive to wool or fleece, I itch uncontrollably and sometime break out.
As I age I am cold ALL OF THE TIME. My last couple of trips the water temps have been 79 to 81 my old Mares 3 mil is not enough. I added Lavacore shorts and hooded vest under my 3 mil and while I still get cold it is tolerable. I also got the socks because for warm water I always use a full foot fin with socks. The socks are easier to get on and off than other sox and do fill warm and soft.
To aid in the sensitivity issue I wear spandex shorts and a rashgaurd shirt under the Lavacore.

Back
Top Bottom