LavaCore Etc as a Drysuit Undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone used a Lavacore, Sharkskin, Exowear etc tri-layer jumpsuit as a drysuit undergarment? They suppose to be similar in thermal protection as a 2mm wetsuit but also neutrally buoyant. The inner layer is supposed to wick moisture. I wonder what equivalent undergarment these would be? When I get my drysuit made, maybe I'll jump in the lake and try it out and let you guys/gals know how it works.

I know someone who has done that, but it’s not the warmest, if I remember correctly.

I do it (lavacore) for dives under 90 minutes in 70 degree water with little deco.

Has anyone used a Lavacore, Sharkskin, Exowear etc tri-layer jumpsuit as a drysuit undergarment? They suppose to be similar in thermal protection as a 2mm wetsuit but also neutrally buoyant. The inner layer is supposed to wick moisture. I wonder what equivalent undergarment these would be? When I get my drysuit made, maybe I'll jump in the lake and try it out and let you guys/gals know how it works.
Won't work, save your gas.

Totally inadequate for Lake Washington unless you're basically on the surface in summer (62-64F). Its 46F at depth (>30ft), this is a silly idea. Get a proper undergarment similar to what everyone else is using. 4th Element arctic, DUI 400gm, and Weezle extreme or extreme+ are typical weights for shell suits. 200gm fleece or sweatshirt and pants is typical under a 7mm uncompressed neo drysuit.

In PNW waters I've done Icebreaker 260 full top and bottom plus Lavacore and Fusion suit, and it was fine in a pinch, but I don't chill easily. I wouldn't recommend it as your only layer under a trilam suit. It might work fine with neoprene as rjack said.

I know people that use it in addition to their base and regular undergarment as an extra layer.

I believe for drysuit undergarments its about wicking, warmth, and air layer. I think most sharkskin/lavacore is only good at wicking.

My guess is something with alot of merino will work. My only thought is maybe the pinnacle inferno v-skin.

I'll give it a try once I fix my drysuit and let you know

Hi
I used to use a Sharkskin under a trilam in warm water for long dive and it was ok.
I had also used it as a base layer for cold dive but I didn't like it as a wool layer with a top fleece is more efficient. Listen to rjack :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom