Latex neck seal too big

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doll_fins

Reaction score
I tried out my new Whites Nexus dry suit on the weekend and found that the latex neck seal was a little bit too big. If I turned my head to any extreme (looking left, right, up or down) it would let in water (Puget Sound water... brrrr!!!:eek: )

Short of sending the suit back and having them put on a smaller seal, does anyone have any suggestions for how to solve this problem? One suggestion I had from a dive shop was to use a knife band around my neck, but I think this may be a bit dangerous!! (too hard to open my neck seal in an emergency?!)

Any thoughts?

You could have the shop replace the neck seal for you. Or send it to drysuitrepair.com - But the seal is going to have to be changed.

Eric

Get the seal replaced!

A remedial method if it is too inconvenient is to use electrical tape - just remember though that if you do that and have a run away ascent it is very difficult to pull the neck seal open......

Jonathan

OUCH!

Originally posted by Jonathan
... A remedial method if it is too inconvenient is to use electrical tape - just remember though that if you do that and have a run away ascent it is very difficult to pull the neck seal open......

Agree with the others (& Jonathan) get the seal replaced!

... does an excellent job on seal replacement... in fact any kind of drysuit repair.

But... have you considered gaining weight... Baskin and Robbins could really help if you were diligent, dedicated & determined....

But no electrical tape, duct tape or cyanoacrylate adhesives... just get the seal replace...

(sounds like it was purchased mail order...new or used???)

Thanks for the advice - how about Ben and Jerry's? I've really been diligent with Coldstone too, but no luck!

Looks like I'll have to get the seal replaced - if I can do it locally it isn't so bad, I was just dreading sending my drysuit away for a couple of weeks - just when the water was starting to warm up :lol:

Do you have the neck seal standing straight up, or tucked down?
If you can get away with it pointing down, the air bubble in your suit sorta clamps off the seal around your neck.
Folks are built differently, so your mileage may vary.

By the way, there are a couple of killer cheesecake recipes here: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/food.html
(The Chocolate Amaretto is a goodie, but the Margarita Cheesecake isn't anything to sneeze at either).
:mean:

Maybe I've missed something. When I bought my drysuit, the LDS had me try it on and made sure it fit properly. They checked the neck and wrist seals for correct fit and helped me with any needed alterations. That was in the store, then we checked everything again in the pool.

Get the seals fit checked and replaced by the local sources recommended by Uncle Pug and have them check and help you with proper fit when you pick it up.

Just my $.02

DSAO,

Larry

Daylight -

I did try on the dry suit before I bought it and they did (visually) check my neck and wrist seals. I told them that I had problems with neck seals when I was using rented drysuits, so they paid pretty close attention to the neck seal and said "looks fine".

The one thing I didn't do that I should have was try it in the pool before I bought it! Live and learn :eek:ut:

Bob3 -

I wear the neck straight up. I thought that was correct for latex seals, and you tuck it down for neoprene ??

Thanks for the cheesecake idea :) - I'm afraid if I follow too much of this advice, the neck seal will be the least of my worries!!

Back
Top Bottom