Late summer hurricane free locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbosullivan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have recommendations for Caribbean/Central American dive locations outside of the hurricane belt, or at least a low-risk location?
I figure Bonaire (and the rest of the ABCs) and the Pacific coast of Mexico are safe- where am I missing?

dbosullivan:
Does anyone have recommendations for Caribbean/Central American dive locations outside of the hurricane belt, or at least a low-risk location?
I figure Bonaire (and the rest of the ABCs) and the Pacific coast of Mexico are safe- where am I missing?
As you said, the ABCs are about it. the only problem during hurricane season is if you have a connection at a location in the belt such as SJ etc. we travel during the hurricane season because rates are cheaper at the risk of not getting there or back home on schedule.

While there can always be surprises, the ABC's are far enough south and some of the islands of the southwestern Caribbean are far enough west to be out of the likely tracks. look at San Andres Island Colombia, or Corn Island Nicaragua for some off-the-beaten-track options.

robbcayman:
What are the ABC's??

Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao (sp?) - nr Venezuelan coast...

hurricane free zones? is there any such thing? i don't think so. Not with global warming. Wish there was a way we could get up to date info on damage done island by island - wouldn't that be nice?

Poots,

Living on Bonaire I can attest that we have not been hit or touched, other then some scattered rain from this VERY busy hurricane season. We are below the jet stream that that carries the storms northward, so that is why we are considered below the hurricane belt. Just an FYI.

Liz

poots:
hurricane free zones? is there any such thing? i don't think so. Not with global warming. Wish there was a way we could get up to date info on damage done island by island - wouldn't that be nice?

Hurricane-free zones have nothing to do with temperature and everything to do with the Coriolis Effect, you know, that thing that's supposed to make toilets flush counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere. While it's a bit of an urban legend that the Coriolis Effect has anything to do with toilets, it does affect wind directions. Bonaire is so close to the equator that the Coriolis Effect is absent there, so a hurricane wouldn't rotate properly. A hurricane with no spin would promptly die out. I'm no scientist, but that's how I understant it :D .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom