Late Aug - early Sep: diving in SE Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mims

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'll have a week off around late Aug - early Sep and would like to spend my time mostly diving. Could you please recommend somewhere good to dive during this time in SE Asia? I just got my AOW and very much interested in big creatures. Also, budgeted and easily access places is what I'm looking for.

Many thanks!

/m.

Welcome to SB, mims. This is your first post, and you don't indicate through your post or in your profile what your dive history is, your experience level, the types of conditions you've dived in, etc. If you are a relatively inexperienced diver--yes, with AOW you may easily be a true novice--the advice will be quite different from that given to an expert diver. Tell us something about yourself, what sort of adventure you're interested in (besides "big" animals), where you'd like to depart from (I'm guessing Singapore?) and the members will more easily be able to offer advice.

You've got mola mola season in Bali at that time...youd get that and mantas right out of Denpasar at Nusa Penida

ocdiver is right, but be advised that the area where mola-molas are found at that time of year is subject to wicked currents. Thus my question about your dive history and experience.

Thanks for the input Quero! I'm new to Scubaboard and quite a novice to scuba diving, too. Up to now I only have about 30 dives (mostly in Vietnam and Thailand) and just got my AOW last Jan on a liveaboard trip to the Similan Islands. I haven't seen much of the underwater world and would love to experience more.

Ocdiver1 mentioned about Mantas - yes, that's what I'd love to see. During my last trip in the Similan islands I caught a glimpse of a manta my heart literally skipped a beat :)

Hopefully I'll get more recommendations from you guys.

How about Sipadan? You probably won't see mantas there, but there are plenty of big fish, with sharks and turtles as well. The time of year is right, and the diving is about the right level of challenge for you.

Hi Quero - I've considered Sipidan, but already planned that for trip later on with friends. This time I'll probably travel on my own, so somewhere budget and easily access would be nice

Low cost and easy access from Singapore In August with big animals for an inexperienced diver is a challenge! If you cannot go to Sipadan this trip, perhaps you'd like Tulamben. The diving is not hugely challenging and there's the shipwreck there with schools of bumphead parrotfish and schooling jacks.

Malapascua will offer you unique Thresher Shark encounters at that time, lots of Devil Rays and always a chance of giant Pelagic mantas. White tips at Gato also. Then a very long list of macro delights.

Direct flights to Cebu from Singapore etc, about 4 hours by road and boat from there.

Not great for big creatures but excelent value for money have a look at Tioman tioman or Redang Redang Island Terengganu Malaysia If you are starting from Singapore then the are quick and easy to get to. Both are a little to commercial for my taste and if you want to get further off the beaten track then Perhentian may suit you better. All of these are suitable for your diving level.
There are lots of web sites for all of these islands use www.google.com.my as this seems to avoid some of the international booking companies.

Back
Top Bottom