Last Two to ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hate to possibly overstay my welcome, but being new to this I am left with 2 last fish to ID (attached). Taken in Little Cayman in May 09. They are both from shallow water - the first very shallow, about 10 ft. and the second (goby?) no more than 30 ft. Both are small - probably about 1-2 inches.

Thanks for all the help with the IDs. It's really fun.

Stuff from this trip I've ID'd so far:

Juvenile Longfin Damselfish (very pretty!)
Adult & Juvenile Yellowfin Damselfish (amazing)
Peacock Flounder
3 Different Groupers & Coney
Yellow Stingray
Rock Boring Sponge
Sharpnose Puffer
Reef Squid
Honeycomb Cowfish
Cushion Sea Star

All new to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 64
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. The Spanish Hogfish is a juvenile, right? I didn't recognize the juvenile form... At first I thought it was a Fairy Basslet, but it's missing the dorsal spot. Rookie mistakes.

BTW - I checked out your site and it's incredible. I sense a DVD purchase in my near future.

You might want to purchase a set of Paul Human's Fish Id books. They are a great investment.

Reef Fish
Reef Creatures
Corals

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. The Spanish Hogfish is a juvenile, right? I didn't recognize the juvenile form... At first I thought it was a Fairy Basslet, but it's missing the dorsal spot. Rookie mistakes.

BTW - I checked out your site and it's incredible. I sense a DVD purchase in my near future.

No worries mate.
Yep it is a juvie.

Easy way to pick the difference between wrasses and fairy basslets is the swimming method; wrasses use their pectoral fins to fly, fairy basslets use their tail to swim.

Glad you like our stuff, the DVD will really help your fish knowledge, even though they are Pacific rather than Caribbean species, the families are mostly the same, and ignoring colours is the first step to recognising families.

Cheers
Josh

Back
Top Bottom