Last Night's Outage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
As you probably noticed shortly after sending our regularly monthly newsletter ScubaBoard encountered a critical error and was taken down for several hours. For those of you who have been members for a long period you will remember that our last major hiccup was in December of last year. Like during that outage, serious data corruption occurred which threatened to take down the entire board. At this time it appears the error has been resolved and most if not all posts, user profiles and data has been recovered, however, further testing is necessary.

How did this happen? Oddly enough this happened while we were in the process of rebuilding our backup process. For several months we have been using an enhanced backup method to allow us to be able to easily recovery the board should the database fail. However, this process seemed to be causing more users than it was preventing and we were in the process of reverting to a slower but more stable import. During the backup process the script errored, which caused it to prematurely exit, something which our database software (mysql) did not like. Obviously several backups have been run since we recovered the database and our “new” backup script has been put back in place to run on a daily process. Issues like this should be few and far between but it is very important that we have frequent backups just incase.

This error should not have happened and I take full responsibility for the downtime that resulted.

Should you notice ANY glitches with the board its self please let us know immediately. Thank you for your understanding.

Please make any posts on this topic to this thread so we can keep the discussion in one area. Thank you.

I've removed the thread, please let me know if you find any other "ghost" threads.

I know of one reply that was dropped but that is ok since it was mine and I reposted the info. Here I thought that I was loosing my mind or had went through a space warp.

crpntr133:
I know of one reply that was dropped but that is ok since it was mine and I reposted the info. Here I thought that I was loosing my mind or had went through a space warp.

First you have to have something to lose it. :D

i'm actually glad sb was down - i thought it was my computer again!

Alright.... RAISIN BOY!! :D

BabyDuck:
i'm actually glad sb was down - i thought it was my computer again!
I thought it was Utilan services. BTW, Charlie really did cook and serve grits this morning. :silly:

I experienced something the other day where posts that I know had been posted the day before still read "today", even over 24 hours after the post had been made

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom