Last Critter identification - from Freeport, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, this is the last critter ID I have. From Freeport, Bahamas. Thanks for everything.

Attachments

• Fish25p.jpg
    Fish25p.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 104
Anyone please?

Looks like a Tiger Grouper – Mycteroperca tigris

Groupers don't have teeth like those, it's a snapper I just can't tell what kind from that angle.
Family Lutjanidae

I think Walter's right about the Cubera snapper. Although it's pretty rare to get so close to one... I certainly haven't been this lucky. :(

I would like to agree with Lutjanus cyanopterus but it could also possibly Lutjanus griseus the Mangrove or Gray Snapper. When Gray snapper get larger and move offshore they usually get larger and grow larger teeth. The best distinguishing characteristic between the two species is the shape of the vomerine tooth patch. This is an area on the roof of the mouth with tiny tooth like projections. But being as it is just a picture we will have to take a best guess and Ill still go with Lutjanus cyanopterus

Yes, Mangroves have big teeth, but I've never seen one with markings on its back like that. Those markings are common on the Cubera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom