laser eye correction and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the latest on getting your eyes 'done' in regards to diving?

I have an appointment for consultation next week, and would like to know if there is anythign I should be sure to ask, at least pertaining to diving.

I expect to be out of the water for a couple of weeks (or whatever the 'don't swim' time is.), but I'm not sure if they will be able to provide any answers regarding diving that are more than extrapolation or pure guess work. (I can't imaging it's been studied too extensively, but I would be happy to be wrong.)

Do any SB'ers have stories to share from their experiences with getting corrective surgery?

Had mine done back in January. Three weeks later, once I was off the medicated eye drops, I was diving again. I didn't need the soothing eye drops (aka the artificial tears) so not sure how that would have played into it. My doc's concerns were about infection and accidentally opening the incision. After the three weeks and a healthy checkup the infection concern goes back to normal levels. The eye rubbing was just a matter of self control and awareness.

Tip: Make sure you have some OTC pain killers available for after the procedure. The local anesthesia wore off about 45 minutes after they were done and the next few hours were just painful since I didn't have anything at home.

i had lasek instead of lasik, so my out of water time was 6 weeks each eye (so 8 weeks total since they were done 2 weeks apart), but no problems since & i'd do it again in a skinny minute.

I had Lasik done years ago. Was told at the time that my reading vision would get worse. When you hit your mid-forties you will find it harder to focus at things up close (few inches from your face). As you get older it will get worse (few feet from your face). This is why you see old guys holding things at arms length and squinting.

Getting lasik will accelerate the process. If you would need reading glasses at the age 50, getting lasik might mean you'll need glasses when you are 45. There is no solid numbers for how much it affects you and it seems everyone is different. However, studies have shown (and they have known this for years) lasik will DEFINITELY accelerate the process.

I'm now 45 and I need reading glasses to read fine print. I find most dive computers are okay to read without glasses. A few computers were a little hard to read parts of them. For example, Suunto Zoop has labels for the different numbers (depth, nitrogen loading, ascent rate, etc.). I could read the numbers but I couldn't read the labels. I knew which number was which without the labels, i.e. just from the position on the display. So it wasn't a huge problem.

Other than that I haven't had any issues with the surgery. I was told I was an ideal candidate and shouldn't have any issues. I was also told that less than ideal candidates don't always get 20/20 vision and they can have visual distortions at night (this could be an issue for deep or night diving).

I had lasik 18 months ago. My only regret is that I didn't have it done years ago.

I was advised not to dive for 6 weeks, just to give the flap time to heal. It's the risk of infection that's the concern. I would say to check with your consultant and be cautious. These are your eyes after all - not something to take a risk on.

As for the procedure itself - a little uncomfortable but really not at all painful. For about 6 hours afterwards, it was quite unpleasant. My eyes felt as if someone was holding an onion right next to them. After that - nothing, no pain, no discomfort. I had clear vision the folowing day. The worse bit was having to sleep in plastic eye shields for a week!

Hope that helps - best of luck.

I had it done six years ago. I was presbyopic at that time so that was not an issue. I was given the option of undercorrecting one eye to reduce the need for reading glasses and chose not to. I stayed 20/20 for distance all these years and have been at 1.50 diopters for reading correction. I have a mask with inserts to read my gauges.

I had it done in winter when I do not dive. I also opted to be a late appointment; went in, was finished in minutes, sat around until released, put sunglasses on went home and went to sleep, next morning 20/20 vision.

Thanks for all thestories, hints and tips. So far it seems to fit in with what I have discovered from the online literature.

Starting to get excited about this - I haven't been without glasses in a long time. I'm willing to deal with reading glasses eventually, as I can't see how that would be any worse than glasses all the time!

Lasik for 7 years now, done at age 49.

The good stuff....tack sharp vision from 100 ft or so out to infinity. Outdoor activities like skiing are a breeze now as I don't have to worry about glasses fogging up etc etc.

The not so good stuff...when I was myopic and I was starting to develop presbyopia I could just remove the glasses to read the fine print (ultimately I ended up in progressive lenses). Now with the surgery it is like I have distance correcting lenses on full time and everything in middle distance to close up requires an add correction i.e. I still wear reading glasses most of the time. The drawback is reading the camera/computer/compass etc while diving and I have not found the true solution yet. Right now I am using progressive contacts which are pretty good but not perfect. The OLED display on the Liquivision X1 'puter really helps as does the coloured background on the OMS SPG.

So if you you are young enough to not have presbyopia...go for it. If you need progressive's now give it a little thought...you might need to wear some form of correction. As for me I was initially dismayed by the loss of near vision but that sharp distance vision is pretty cool. I'm OK with it now.

Go to know, Thanks!

I'm in my early 30's, so I'm not too worried about the presbyopia yet.

Seems like I'll be going ahead with the procedure, assuming the doctor thinks I'm a good candidate.

Thanks again!

Lasik for 7 years now, done at age 49.

The good stuff....tack sharp vision from 100 ft or so out to infinity. Outdoor activities like skiing are a breeze now as I don't have to worry about glasses fogging up etc etc.

The not so good stuff...when I was myopic and I was starting to develop presbyopia I could just remove the glasses to read the fine print (ultimately I ended up in progressive lenses). Now with the surgery it is like I have distance correcting lenses on full time and everything in middle distance to close up requires an add correction i.e. I still wear reading glasses most of the time. The drawback is reading the camera/computer/compass etc while diving and I have not found the true solution yet. Right now I am using progressive contacts which are pretty good but not perfect. The OLED display on the Liquivision X1 'puter really helps as does the coloured background on the OMS SPG.

So if you you are young enough to not have presbyopia...go for it. If you need progressive's now give it a little thought...you might need to wear some form of correction. As for me I was initially dismayed by the loss of near vision but that sharp distance vision is pretty cool. I'm OK with it now.

Had mine done 3 years ago. One of the best things I have done for myself in my life. I have worn glasses since I was in the 4th grade and am now 50. I was also presbyopic and had my left eye corrected a little near sighted so that I could read without bifocals. It works great. I wear glasses for driving or going to the movies. Other then that I don't need them and I can now read my guages underwater without any corrective lens'.

JPB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom