Largest Tuna I ever saw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
So I just needed to share something that happened yesterday while I was diving:

At a depth of about twelve meters in the distance I saw coral tumbling down the wall, my first thought was there must be divers up ahead, but as I approached I could not see anything but lots and lots of Octopus Ink which had been sprayed everywhere.

About thirty seconds later I look up and see the largest Yellow Fin Tuna I have ever seen on a Reef(or anywhere except on TV) approaching me head on. I had this view for approx 2 seconds before he suddenly veered off to his right and passed within 1 & 1/2 meters from me. IT Was the first time in 32 years of SCUBA Diving that I was approached by anything (other than sharks, Mantas, a couple of Goliath Groupers) that was that large. IT was really thrilling...:D Unfortunately I dont have Pics and I dont think I would have had time to take one anyway even if I would have been carrying my camera.

I estimate it was probablly in the 1.7 to 2 Meter range... I hope I dont have to wait another 32 years for this to happen again...

Anyway just had to share :)

Cool! Trully magnificent fish!:coffee:

Cool. I have also experienced the thrill of having a large yellowtail swim straight at me and veer off at the last second. It's a bit unnerving and they swim amazingly fast. It's nice to know there are still some big fish out there.

Awesome!!!!! Where did you dive? You are truely blessed. I saw one in Apo Reef about that size but it was 20 feet deeper from where I was. One second it was there then.. gone. Good thing the vis was good otherwise, I would not have seen it.

Roger, we will be going to Moalboal on Feb 16 - Feb 20. After that very toxic January.... Just a few more sleep! Did you say before that there are vans and aircon bus available to Moalboal?

Regards,
Gi

Gi,
I was diving Dolphin House about mid-way up the Peninsula just before u get to White Beach......

Yeah, I felt luckyyyyyy!

Here is the Bus Info..

The A/C buses leave Cebu South Bus Terminal for Moalboal at

Morning Afternoon
5:00AM and 7:00AM 3:00PM and 5:00PM

A/C Buses Depart Bato for Moalboal at
Morning Afternoon
5:00AM and 7:00AM 1:00PM

the Bato buses show up in Moalboal around 6:30AM/8:30AM and 2:30PM respectively
and then go on to Cebu City......

If you prefer an a/c Van take a taxi to Citi-Link and catch the Van (V-Hire) to Moal Boal...

Finally if u wanted to take a taxi to mboal I know a couple of very reliable Taxi Drivers who will pick u up at the airport if u desire... and dont mind making stops along the way for whatever u might need....

how many are in your party? and when do u expect to arrive moalboal? I have a couple of Open Water Students but if possible I could help u guys get to ur final location(if u dont mind riding in my crappy vehicle)...

cheers,

Now I know what I'm having for lunch today...:D

Yup, magnificent and fast, Simon.

Yup, definetly delicious! :D And super fast that's true! Bluefin tuna, the largest species (also found in Canadian waters) can grow past 1000 lbs and hold cruizing speeds over 50 km/h! That's cruising speeds! Not bursts or sprints! They cruise at that speed...:shocked2: Simply amazing... I'd love to see one...

:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom