Large Tall to just large? drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackass

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I found a beautiful drysuit that is too tall for me. Is there any (relatively easy) way to shorten it?

I assume no, but it is worth asking, I am saddened to have to turn it down. It is about 4-6 inches too tall.

It is trilam if that makes a difference...

Shortening is a possibility.

But maybe you don't need to.

How much excess length is there in the legs? Crotch to floor.

How much excess length is there in the torso? Crotch to shoulder.

Front zip or back zip?

Telescoping torso design? If not, could it be?

I'm about an inch shorter than the low end of the recommended height for my DUI trilaminate suits, but they had a 4-inch range. So that means I've got about 5 inches of overall excess. No problem for me.

The legs are about 2-3 inches longer than I need, so I fold them over at the knee similar to the so-called "telescoping" fashion.

The DUI are designed with very long torso for ease of donning and then the torso "telescopes" over itself to take up the excess.

If your suit can do that, you may get by.

Can you post the make, model, size range and your pertinent measurement data?

That might help someone provide a more specific answer than mine.

Oh, and how much of a bargain is it? :D

I love shopping with other people's money. :wink:

Dave C

Dave,
You are giving a man hope! Thank you!

I'll have to figure out the measurement more carefully, but the thing I noticed is that I could/would definitely have to telescope the body. I can't imagine how this would be functional without a crotch strap to hold in the loose material to prevent ballooning. Your experience?

In the legs, I have gators, so I could easily telescope the legs and then gator them. But I am more worried about the main body.

Cheers.

Okay, I am leaning toward getting the suit, what the hell, it is the holidays... however, I can't seem to find any information on proper drysuit sizing. For example, I think if I am in my full layers this suit will work, but what about when I am diving in Florida caves (in the spring), will there be too much extra material? So, what do you all look for when sizing your drysuit. Too tight is probably bad, too loose is probably bad. What do you consider just right, and what is doable? I assume you want a good range of motion, but what is too big?

Dave,
You are giving a man hope! Thank you!

I'll have to figure out the measurement more carefully, but the thing I noticed is that I could/would definitely have to telescope the body. I can't imagine how this would be functional without a crotch strap to hold in the loose material to prevent ballooning. Your experience?

In the legs, I have gators, so I could easily telescope the legs and then gator them. But I am more worried about the main body.

A crotch strap is helpful for this tall suit, I think. It could be glued on.

Gaiters might also help, but I've never used them. Another possibility would be ankle weights. Those stay in place for me.

Okay, I am leaning toward getting the suit, what the hell, it is the holidays... however, I can't seem to find any information on proper drysuit sizing. For example, I think if I am in my full layers this suit will work, but what about when I am diving in Florida caves (in the spring), will there be too much extra material? So, what do you all look for when sizing your drysuit. Too tight is probably bad, too loose is probably bad. What do you consider just right, and what is doable? I assume you want a good range of motion, but what is too big?

You need to try the suit on over your expected heaviest insulation, then check range of motion.

"Too big", like my suit when I'm wearing just a set of 100 polypropylene long underwear, can allow air in the suit to shift rapidly, but can be minimized by venting most of the air in the suit (causing more squeeze). The small amount of air left in the suit can still shift, but will be manageable.

"Too big" even when wearing lots of insulation, even when vented, traps more air which is less manageable when it shifts, raising the risk of up-ending the diver and dragging him toward the surface in an uncontrolled inverted ascent.

Suit fit is hard to describe in real specific terms, but easy for an experienced drysuit diver to assess. You probably can find detailed range of motion guidelines on the web, but having someone assess the fit with you in person is probably best.

In more general terms, a fit that was "just right" would be a close fit, but not compressing the insulation and not restricting range of motion so much as to prevent performing critical maneuvers.

How about my questions in my first response, JA? :D

Let's have some specifics.... :)

Dave C

Shortening is a possibility.

But maybe you don't need to.

How much excess length is there in the legs? Crotch to floor.

How much excess length is there in the torso? Crotch to shoulder.

Front zip or back zip?

Telescoping torso design? If not, could it be?

I'm about an inch shorter than the low end of the recommended height for my DUI trilaminate suits, but they had a 4-inch range. So that means I've got about 5 inches of overall excess. No problem for me.

The legs are about 2-3 inches longer than I need, so I fold them over at the knee similar to the so-called "telescoping" fashion.

The DUI are designed with very long torso for ease of donning and then the torso "telescopes" over itself to take up the excess.

If your suit can do that, you may get by.

Can you post the make, model, size range and your pertinent measurement data?

That might help someone provide a more specific answer than mine.

Oh, and how much of a bargain is it? :D

I love shopping with other people's money. :wink:

Dave C

I just borrowed it tonight to do some "size testing." But to answer some of your questions it is a front zip Zeagle Expedition Large Tall in really nice shape. 500 dollars. As far as actual measurements are concerned, I am too lazy to do that! What I didn't realize is that it has suspenders, so that should keep it from sagging. As far as sizing goes, based on the Zeagle website, a Large should be my size. I am 5'10'' and the Large Tall is for 5'11-6'3'', so really, I sound like I am in your position.

Oh yeah, I also emailed Superior Drysuit Repair, and to shorten it would be 75-100 dollars, so worse case scenario, that seems damn reasonable.

I just borrowed it tonight to do some "size testing." But to answer some of your questions it is a front zip Zeagle Expedition Large Tall in really nice shape. 500 dollars. As far as actual measurements are concerned, I am too lazy to do that! What I didn't realize is that it has suspenders, so that should keep it from sagging. As far as sizing goes, based on the Zeagle website, a Large should be my size. I am 5'10'' and the Large Tall is for 5'11-6'3'', so really, I sound like I am in your position.

Oh yeah, I also emailed Superior Drysuit Repair, and to shorten it would be 75-100 dollars, so worse case scenario, that seems damn reasonable.

Sounds like it will work well for you!

I'll bet you won't want to bother shortening the suit.

I just looked up the suit's specs and price.

Congratulations on the great deal!

It's been great for me....like shopping and spending your money! :D

Dave C

Thanks Dave,
The only way to know for sure I guess is to take it diving and see if there are any size issues then.
I am glad someone else can live vicariously through my own christmas present, my wife sure won't appreciate it. (That's if I tell her! :D)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom