Large Memory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Can anybody inform me of the difference in Memory available on a digital camera please?
How many high resolution pictures can be expected of these?
And 1GB sounds absolutely ridiculous!
The CompactFlash card is capable of holding 1GB memory, reading at 6.5MB per second, An Oly C 5050 takes 6 MP per shot, so in video mode what can be expected of the CF card.
:wacko:

Can anybody inform me of the difference in Memory available on a digital camera please?
swampguinnie, it depends on what digital cameras you're talking about - different cameras use different memory. The common ones are Compact Flash, IBM Microdrive, Smartmedia, xD and the Sony Memory and Memory Pro sticks.
And 1GB sounds absolutely ridiculous!
Actually the largest CF card available is 3GB and the 6GB has been announced.
An Oly C 5050 takes 6 MP per shot, so in video mode what can be expected of the CF card.
The C5050 is a 5MP camera and the file size vary from 2-3MB(SHQ JPEG) and 7.2MB(RAW). The movies are only at low resolution (320x240). To give you an idea a 512MB card will hold about 140 JPEGs or 68 RAW. Or 1500 secs worth of video.

Wow so much memory amazing!! I used to shoot on highest res but as I don't use them for print only on the web to share with friends I now usea lower res.

I have a 340Mb harddrive in my camera and I took 470 shots on the last trip to Manado and had space to spare and I never deleated during the trip.

It al depends on the use of the photos. :)

I use a 64m with my Oly 3030, and after every dive I dump the photos into a portble 10G hard drive with a SmartMedia adapter.
The model I have (Digital Wallet) is not on the market any more, but there is probably some replacement.

I always shoot at the highest res, in case I decide to print anything out. It's easy enought to just scale things down in Photoshop for the web.

Back
Top Bottom