Laptops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...they have a very open operating system on their Mac OSX devices, no walls,

That was never actually true. Back in the last century my uni maintained a lab of long obsolete Amiga computers just to teach us M68K assembly language. Because the one non-obsolete system based on that CPU was the Mac and "we'd have to spend a full semester teaching you how to break through Mac OS to the level where you can program in assembly before we could teach you the actual course". But whatever...

Until I discovered MacDive earlier this month, I was running Windows inside VMWare Fusion, on a MacBook Pro. It's been working great for years, to talk to my Aeris dive computer, my ham radio programmer, run Quicken, run oddball DEFCON Software Defined Radio software, etc. I've been doing this for about 8-10 years.

So don't think that if you move to Mac that you'll completely lose access to the Windows world. It will just cost you some virtualization software (might be $) and some money for a Windows license.

That said, I've got MacDive now, I'm hoping that my next radio will have Mac programming software available, I'm about to punt @#$^%@#$ Quicken into orbit and move to a different (Mac or Linux) SDR system. But I don't have to, until I see options that I like and work for me.

Panasonic Rugged Laptops - Official Panasonic Toughbook Rugged Computers
Panasonic toughbooks.

If you REALLY want a rugged laptop, there it is. They ain't pretty, and they ain't cheap (just under $3k on amazon). We use them in some environments at work, they really are tough to break (compared to other laptops - apple or otherwise).

They have ip65 "waterproofing" among other certifications.

Actually, they have cheaper "semi rugged" models.. slightly less rugged, slightly less ugly, slightly less expensive. I've seen them as cheap as $1200.

That was never actually true. Back in the last century my uni maintained a lab of long obsolete Amiga computers just to teach us M68K assembly language. Because the one non-obsolete system based on that CPU was the Mac and "we'd have to spend a full semester teaching you how to break through Mac OS to the level where you can program in assembly before we could teach you the actual course". But whatever...

He said OS X. It wasn't OS X back when you're talking about.

GD72, I don't think "travelling" as you have described it, should in any way qualify as being especially demanding. If it is, you're doing it wrong. Presumably, the thing is being carried in a backpack or other carry-on bag, and sitting on a desk in a hotel or an air-conditioned cabin on a luxury liveaboard is pretty sweet life for a laptop! If you worked as a war correspondent in Afghanistan, it would be different...

So really the question is which computer is best for Lightroom and Photoshop. The other apps can be run on a 5 year old smartphone, so they will run on anything that can run a browser.

Macs are universally accepted as the best machines for these graphics-intense apps. I use a Macbook Pro 15" with a dual processors and a SS drive. My only complaints are that they are stupid expensive, and the drives are relatively small. Otherwise, it's a serious kick-a$$ computer. As in open a 20 MB RAW file in 3 seconds, including launching Photoshop. Startup from a cold start is about 10 seconds (just tried it).

The SS drive very durable in my experience. So if budget isn't a killer you can't go wrong. (Incidentally, the 15" SS drive unit weighs about the same as the 13" older MB Pro. It is a bit of a pain to carry, but the Retina display is amazing.

GD72, I don't think "travelling" as you have described it, should in any way qualify as being especially demanding. If it is, you're doing it wrong. Presumably, the thing is being carried in a backpack or other carry-on bag, and sitting on a desk in a hotel or an air-conditioned cabin on a luxury liveaboard is pretty sweet life for a laptop! If you worked as a war correspondent in Afghanistan, it would be different...

So really the question is which computer is best for Lightroom and Photoshop. The other apps can be run on a 5 year old smartphone, so they will run on anything that can run a browser.

Macs are universally accepted as the best machines for these graphics-intense apps. I use a Macbook Pro 15" with a dual processors and a SS drive. My only complaints are that they are stupid expensive, and the drives are relatively small. Otherwise, it's a serious kick-a$$ computer. As in open a 20 MB RAW file in 3 seconds, including launching Photoshop. Startup from a cold start is about 10 seconds (just tried it).

The SS drive very durable in my experience. So if budget isn't a killer you can't go wrong. (Incidentally, the 15" SS drive unit weighs about the same as the 13" older MB Pro. It is a bit of a pain to carry, but the Retina display is amazing.

You can buy aftermarket solid state drives and install them in a macbook pro with no issues. I've got one right behind me that I did that very thing with. This is the one I used: 1TB ssd for $250 Amazon.com: Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT1050MX300SSD1: Computers & Accessories

The 500GB version is only $129

My point is just that they've come down in price, and there's no reason to buy directly from a manufacturer. Unless you just like supporting that manufacturer in a charitable type fashion.

Good to know... I have a 500 GB and use a RAID system at home, but when I bought this thing, I think it was an additional $600 CDN to go to 1Tb.

Then there's that pesky warranty issue and how it disappears as soon as you unscrew the back.... Or at least that's my guess.

He said OS X. It wasn't OS X back when you're talking about.

OSX is no better and with USA TLA now providing free advertising for Apple's bigger and thicker walls, it's only gonna get worse. None of them's ever been any more (or less) "open" than the other, it's just that while the other guys were busy antagonizing their users by suing them for Evil Piracy, Apple's been busy convincing the faithful that St Steve Can Do No Wrong and For Your Own Good. Very successfully, too.

I mean, seriously. "It's very open: it has Terminal.app".
[/off-topic]

PS. if curious: google for SIP. And/or Gatekeeper.

Last edited:
Good to know... I have a 500 GB and use a RAID system at home, but when I bought this thing, I think it was an additional $600 CDN to go to 1Tb.

Then there's that pesky warranty issue and how it disappears as soon as you unscrew the back.... Or at least that's my guess.
They do allow you to replace hard drives, ram, etc.. "user-replacable" parts. They obviously won't warrant the new part you put in, that's for the other company to do. Also if you break the system while putting in the new part it's obviously not going to be covered. Apple even provides instructions on how to replace hard drives and ram in the macbook pro user manual (page 37 on the copy I have).

It didn't matter for me, anyway. Mine was out of warranty as it's over a year old.

another vote for the Dell XPS 13", biggest screen available in the smallest sized machine available for travel, small, light, easy to travel with and has all the bells and whistles you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom