Lanier Report - WBP - 6/15/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corigan

Contributor
Reaction score
Kyle and I decided to go out to Lanier tonight and get in a dive. Since we've been rained on for the past 2-3 weeks straight I didn't expect decent viz. We only recieved 8-10'. I thought this would be a good time to try out my camera in macro mode with flash. We saw 100's of fish, including a few big catfish (one who I thought was going to bite my finger, it came right up to it), a few big basses (with lots of juveniles), a few big longear Sunfish, and tons of juvenile longear's. I also believe we spotted a bunch of crappies. I believe this is a crappie in my first picture. If wrong please let me know. We did a 65 minute dive along the rocks looking at all the fish. Max depth was only 13' as I wanted to stay above the termocline. The temp was 80 Degrees above the termocline. I dove it in a 3 mil with no hood and gloves and was plenty warm. It was nice to be able to bring back out the 3 mil. Usually I wouldn't post a report but thought I would since I got a few pics of some fish just to prove there is wildlife out there to those that are skeptics and never seen a fish in lanier. I know the one is a juvenile largemouth bass, while the other I believe has juvenile crappies in it. If this isn't the case and someone knows the proper ID I would greatly appreciate a correction. I was having a problem getting real close to the fish though as they were easily spooked by divers. They were curious but you could tell with such little dive traffic there they were not used to us. This is the best I got today, but am hoping to go back on Sunday and possibly get a few better shots.

Matt

Ansel Adams, watch out !!!
Corigan is gonna take over the world of underwater photography!!!
Nice shot on the bass, those guys are kinda spooky.

We passed like ships in the night yesterday, I was up at Holiday trying to find a piece of a boat under "B" dock at Holiday Marina. Didn't find it. Wanna help??

Get ya into some real nasty diving.

Temps at 50' was 51 degrees F.

Tell Kyle about one more week before the B/P and STA.

I'll have two choices for him, different webbing arrangements.

See ya later, bud . . .

We need to go south and get wet !!!!!

The Kraken:
Ansel Adams, watch out !!!
Corigan is gonna take over the world of underwater photography!!!
Nice shot on the bass, those guys are kinda spooky.
LOL, I seriously doubt that. In all honesty though I have always had a great time shooting pics. Even if they aren't all that good (not too bad for the conditions), they will get better. I learn so much each time I go out shooting. Thanks for the comments on the bass. They are really fast and take off quite quickly. I like the way they swim though, it's very distinctive and easy to spot them even in low viz.
We passed like ships in the night yesterday, I was up at Holiday trying to find a piece of a boat under "B" dock at Holiday Marina. Didn't find it. Wanna help??

Get ya into some real nasty diving.

Temps at 50' was 51 degrees F.
I might be interested in that. I'm really turning into a warm water wimp. I need to get a drysuit for those nasty bottom temps.. :) PM me the details and I'll get out the semi-dry and come freeze with you for a dive or two if you need the help.
Tell Kyle about one more week before the B/P and STA.

I'll have two choices for him, different webbing arrangements.

See ya later, bud . . .

We need to go south and get wet !!!!!
I'll relay the message, I'm sure he'll be greatly pleased. I also agree on going south and getting wet. Looking forward to diving with you again in the future.

On another note I haven't seen ScubaPT around. I was going to drop him a PM and make sure he was ok.

Matt

Went to West Bank on Monday the 13th and did a late afternoon dive from a boat. Vis was 10-15 at 80 ft. and the temp got down to 52. Had new 7 mil Henderson on and a head cap and was warm all except for my hands. The summer gloves did not keep the hands warm at all. Lost a snorkle and knive somehow.

Almost got into some night diving, but not quite. The fish in the photos appear to be one of the bluegill related fish, but are not crappie Im pretty sure. The last one is a bass fry definately and has a really defined stripe. I have seen an Alligator Gar before in Lanier and a Pike also.

Need some help sometime at the lake, drop me a line. I am planning to dive Lanier a lot just because of proximity to my home, but next week I am going to the panhandle and dive Vortex and do a boat trip in PCB and probably a couple of tanks at St. Andrews Jetties. May also see if Morrison is ok to dive. Heard the county or state took it over and now may be free to dive.

Hoss

cewarbin:
Almost got into some night diving, but not quite. The fish in the photos appear to be one of the bluegill related fish, but are not crappie Im pretty sure. The last one is a bass fry definately and has a really defined stripe. I have seen an Alligator Gar before in Lanier and a Pike also.
I was looking at bluegill pics and couldn't find a juvies. Hopefully that puts me on the right track for a proper ID.
Need some help sometime at the lake, drop me a line. I am planning to dive Lanier a lot just because of proximity to my home, but next week I am going to the panhandle and dive Vortex and do a boat trip in PCB and probably a couple of tanks at St. Andrews Jetties. May also see if Morrison is ok to dive. Heard the county or state took it over and now may be free to dive.

Hoss
Sounds like quite a bit of fun. I try to dive lanier a few times each month, let me know when you are going out there and maybe we could all meet up for a dive or two. Morrison is taken over by the state and is free to dive. Right now it is flooded over and most likely severely tannic. PM SuprBugman for a link to a site that shows the river level at morrisons. Usually anything over about 6.5' is super tannic.

Sounds like a fun trip to the panhandle, hope you have a good time and am looking for some reports when you get back!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?tae&carf1

Probably flooded, unless the flow is really pumping - which wouldn't be out of the question. A bit over a month ago, when everyone was reporting 'gin' clear at Morrison, the river levels were over 6' but the flow was supposedly up alot as well.

Corigan:
On another note I haven't seen ScubaPT around.

Oh, I'm still around, and dehydrated. I haven't been able to dive since the Grays reef trip. I have either been out of town on business or family stuff since then. Hopefully I'll be able to get back in the water in the next couple of weeks.

Heeey, Allen, you old curmudgeon !!!
How ya been, boy ???

scubaPT:
Oh, I'm still around, and dehydrated. I haven't been able to dive since the Grays reef trip. I have either been out of town on business or family stuff since then. Hopefully I'll be able to get back in the water in the next couple of weeks.
Glad to see you are ok, just overworked! Whenever you want to get wet let me know.

Matt

Thanks for all the info on Morrison and all. I will give a report. I do plan on a dive or two there.

I grew up at Lanier and spent the biggest part of my life there. Dad started diving in mid 1960's an grew up with it. Got YMCA certified in 75 and did my diving exclusively there until a PCB trip to the Jetties in 1987. That was an eye opening experience. I got fills at Hydrospace or whatever shop was next to the ship thing on Thomas Drive.

I am getting back into diving and now have my Rescue and Nitrox and a few specialties.

I look forward to diving Lanier and other spots and comraderie of you guys in the future and appreciate the level of knowledge and info I get from questions and lurking here.....So Thanks....

Hoss!!

Back
Top Bottom