Langkawi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Langkawi sounds familar...think I have been there. Is it near Kota Kinalabu (sp)?. If so, get a flight to Tuwau, catch the boat to Sipadan and spend at least 2 days there. Sipadan is some of the best diving I have done in Asia.

No, Langkawi is actually on the West Coast, off the state of Kedah.

I don't know if you can dive off the main island itself - the water is not very clear and you sometimes encounter sea lice - it was fantastic 15 years ago.

But the surrounding islands are still very pristine and worth visiting. My last trip there was 2 years ago, and I visited Pulau Payar, which is a marine preserve. I didn't dive on the trip, but the snorkelling was excellent and there were a few divers in the group who reported that the reefs were quite good.

There's a permanent platform anchored there that is run by a company called Langkawi Coral? Not sure of the name -but they have an office at the pier in Kuah or you could arrange something through the hotel as well.

Hope this helps.

Here is a Link to a previous discussion on this list 2 pages back titled "Anyone been to Langkawi???"

* Click HERE *

Hope it helps!

i was there in January 2003 and its rainy season which effects visibility but most of the southern langkawi resorts and operators take you to glass island and a floating raft where snorkeling is amazing but diving is nothing special, but its a reasonably cheap excursion 9-3pm

Aatif=-)

Didn't see any diving offered when we were there on holiday about 3 years ago. However, if there is I expect it should be OK. there are hundreds of small islands around the main island so the reefs should be worth a look.

One word of warning - watch out for the monkeys - they bite and try to steal whatever you have. If you see them, keep well away!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom