Land sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get it every time we spend a prolonged period on a boat -- but then again, I never get seasick, no matter how rough the water is, and I figure that's the better half of the equation. The comments about "the more accurate the brain's model, the less likely seasickness" certainly applies to me. But I wobble for several days after getting off the boat. It isn't particularly pleasant (and the only time I've ever been really motion sick was in a Chinese restaurant in San Juan, Puerto Rico -- stale grease and a pitching restaurant don't make for a happy tummy) but it doesn't last that long.

I am wondering if taking dramamine or one of the other motion sickness remedies during my trip will help this land sickness? Or should I start it on the 2nd to last day and continue for a few days after I get off the boat? I m worried as I am headed to Palau for a liveaboard in a month. Any recommendations?Thanks!
d:\users\294580\TEMP\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
Rob

Bummer, Rob. I, too, get it after a liveaboard trip. Here's brief blog I wrote about it --> Reverse Seasickness -- Getting Land-Sick After Being on a Boat | Divers' Blogs

As regards preventive motion sickness meds/techniques for the phenomena, the research shows that for the most part these provide very limited to no relief.

Drugs of the benzodiazepine class (e.g., Valium, Xanax) have proved moderately helpful in some case, but these meds are not without potential adverse reactions and are not recommended while diving.

Techniques such as the Cawthorne-Cooksey exercises may also be of benefit.

In the meantime, it is likely that your symptoms will spontaneously resolve shortly, so apply a little tincture of time.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I appreciate all the links, which were helpful. I had never heard of MDD before. Guess I will see how it goes after the liveaboard in Palau and post back with the results!

DocVikingo, I am wondering if I should try the Cawthorne-Cooksey exercises while on the boat, or once back on land? Thank you for your insight.

Rob

Hey Rob,

If you're going to do them, you'll probably get the best result by starting as soon as possible, where ever that may be. If on the boat, you'll want the craft to be relatively stable, not pitching or rocking about.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom