Land based wide angle converter lens underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess is, and this is purely guesswork, that it will work but not to the same degree as above water. How I figure is as follows:

The density of glass is higher than that of air, making refraction possible. That's how the lens works above water. If you take it under water, the density of glass is still higher than water but not as much as with air so the effect of the lens would be diminished but not elliminated.

I'd be curious to know the real answer myself as I've also been considering doing something like this.

There are 2 major problems with doing this. First, the lens are designed to have air between the camera and wa lens. Water has a very different angle of refraction than water so operation of the lens is going to be highly impacted. Not sure what the effect on a wa lens will be but as a compairison, I do know if you use topside macro lens their value is cut to 1/4 of it's original value...a +4 diopter becomes a +1. The second issue and likely the real killer is the fact these lenses are not sealed so once they flood they are ruined. IMO, if you want to try an add-on macro buy the highest power you can and go for it, if you want to waste a good bit of money, try the WA as well. All in all, your best bet is another housing.

Not a good idea - won't work well for reasons above (index of refraction differences); and the lens will flood, and be ruined. I know they cost more; but several vendors (Inon, Sea & Sea, Ikelite, etc) sell external WA lens - watch for a used one here, wetpixel, or ebay. You'll be much happier with the result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom