Lanai versus Molokini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcsanity

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

We are heading back to Maui. In the past we dove out of Kihei and hit sites such as Molokini (crater and back wall) as well as St. Anthony wreck and Red Hill.

We are going to be staying in Kaanapali for three nights prior to heading out to the Kihei area and were wondering is it worth trying to get on a dive boat out of Lahina to try and get to Lanai....

Is the diving there different that what we would get out of Kihei? If there is something better or unique to see we absolutley want to head over there, otherwise would just dive out of Kihei.

Thanks!

I liked diving the cathedrals on Lanai so it's probably worth doing a trip over there. I'd go on a smaller boat mostly so you don't really stir up the bottom in there though and if you go there make sure you're one of the first divers to enter it. Once when I went there after a large group had just left it was terrible viz.

The cathedral dives are definitely worth the trip. The reefs on Lanaii are really pristine due to the lack of development on the island. I dove with Extended Horizons out of Lahaina two weeks ago, and had a wonderful time. We also did some diving out of Kihei and had a great time as there as well.

Mike

I was just there last week and wish I could dove Lanai, but did get to Molokin. My wife loved the dive, though a bit skiddish with the white tip shark we saw. Recommend doing both.

I was recently in Maui and stayed in Kaanapali for 3 of 7 days. I would highly recommend Lanai as it is truly something to see. From Lahaina, the boat trip is a bit shorter. I would very highly recommend you try diving the Carthaginian and Mala Pier right in Lahaini. The Old Pier has nearly every bit of aquatic life you will see in Maui and the Carthaginian is home to Godzilla size frog fish. Also very cool to do a dive while a submarine is passing by. I would also recommend a scooter dive with Tiny Bubbles at the KBC. Great reef and more turtles than you can shake a fin at. The guys there are great!!

Aloha!!:cool2:

we are headed back there aug 16-23rd, love diving lanai, molokini back wall, and trying to get to molokai, all good dives! Not familiar with the "KBC" can you elaborate? I plan on shore dives at the mala warf and hitting the Carthanginian this trip! Are we going to be there at the same time?

We were in Maui last month and did both Molokini and Lanai. We had a great time at both, but really enjoyed our 2nd Cathedrals dive with Lahaina divers. Larger boat, but really well organized and great DM's. We had amazing viz that day and would not hesitate to go back for more Lanai dives. Definitely worth the trip! We've snorkeled there with Blue Water raft adventures at Shark Fin and that looked like it would be an amazing dive as well.

Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate the comments. We will make sure and at least get one day of diving to Lanai.

We just got back from Maui this Tuesday and dived Sunday through Friday. I loved, loved Molikini and enjoyed Lanai. The coral on Molokini seemed in better shape, the visibiltiy was way better (when we were there, but I hear it common because of the current), the reef seems more protected as a "marine reserve." On Molokini, we saw sharks on every dive (white tip and black tip), barracuda, lots of tropical fish, octopus and a pelagic manta ray with at least 10 foot wing span. I thought the dives here were really pretty with more fish and better visiblity.

Lanai was different, although I enjoyed the dives there too. The cathedrals were cool and we saw a Giant Moray Eel with a head bigger than a basket ball. I've never seen a Viper Eel, which we saw there too. At the time we were there the visiblity was so-so (compared to what I am used to), but the topography dramatic. In my opinon, still worth trying.

As some of the earlier post, the Carth was really fun with the HUGE frog fish and the submarine that stops by to check out the divers. The Manta Dive at Manta Point is awesome too!

We dived with Lahaina Divers the entire week and liked the dive op. They get negative marks on some posts for the bigger cattle boats, but I enjoyed the bigger comfy boat on fairly choppy seas. The dive staff was friendly and seemed interested in identifying the marine life, especially pointing out what was unique to Hawaii.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom