Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am going to start this thread by posting my dive log from a 2011 dive in the Clackamas River. This will be a rather long post, but it explains the first dive in which I actually witnessed the Pacific lamprey spawning in our rivers. This spring I again witnessed this spawning event, and was able to video it on two dives. I'm going to post that video here below, but wanted this first sighting to be here too. Here it is:
Date: 6-18-2011 Dive Site: High Rocks, Clackamas River Dive Number: 2-2011
Entrance Time: 11:02 AM Exit Time: 11:54 AM Bottom Time: 52 minutes
PSI Used: Started with 1400 psig, ended with 300 psig, total: 1100 psig
Depth: Max depth was about 25 feet, but most of the dive was spent at about 10 feet
Participating Divers: Solo
Dive Plan:
This dive was planned as the first of the season at High Rocks. I’ve been diving this site for years, but usually start on Memorial Day. This year’s extremely high water and snow melt kept me from even thinking about it until today. But the weather was rainy today, and upon looking at the water I almost decided not to dive. Then the Fire Department showed up with their divers, and I decided that if they could get wet, so could I.

Water Conditions (Temperature, Visibility, etc.)

The water was cold, and normally I ask the lifeguards about the temperature. But today the lifeguards were not there yet, so I estimate the temperature in the low 40s. Visibility was about 4 feet, and the lighting was not good because of the heavy cloud cover with rain. Current was strong, but the river was not as high as I expected. It was maybe three feet higher than normal, which meant it was dive-able.

Observations:

...Normally, at this site, I go to the bottom here and make my way downstream and across the current to an eddy just up from the High Rocks narrows channel. But today, because of the current, I stayed on the surface until I was past the fire department personnel, I still wanted to get into the eddy, but needed to do that underwater at this point because the surface current was very strong. I went to the bottom, and was swimming upstream toward the shallower areas of the eddie. The bottom here is rocky with gravel on the bottom. As I started up, I noticed a brown Pacific lamprey. It was going my direction, so I decided to stop for a moment and watch it. The lamprey (Lampetra tridentate) was brown rather than grey, indicating to me that it had not been in the river too long.

I swam up the gravel bank from about 15 feet depth to about 10 feet depth, nearing the bottom portion of this eddy but where there was still a downstream current. There I saw two more lampreys, which were joined by this third one, on the bottom holding onto stones in their mouths. Then they curled around each other, and began mating. I reached up to my mask and brought the SeawiscopeEY down in position on my mask. This is a double-lens device that allows very close focusing and observations. With it down, and the two lampreys in a mating position (one male attached itself to the female’s head, and circled her body with his), I watched in amazement as they convulsed in a mating orgasm, and eggs and sperm came out. After a moment, the male released his grip on her head, and the three lampreys began moving stones over the site. At first. It was small stones being moved out, then large stones were moved on top. They kept moving the stones in the river, and the large ones were bigger than my fist. One lamprey would cling to the stone with his/her mouth, then with body undulations try to displace it from the bottom. The larger stones were moved over the area of the eggs, which were sticking to the rocks on the bottom. Some had drifted back in the current too.

This process was repeated at least five times while I watched during the next 20 minutes. The male would grab the head of the female, wrap his body around the female and they would release sperm and eggs in what could only be described as a body convulsion, a fast-frequency twitching of the whole lower bodies of the two fish. This would be followed by several minutes of moving stones on the bottom. This was a cooperative effort by three lampreys. At one point, the dominant male tried mating with the female, and because the other male was along-side could only wrap his body around the both of them. That did not work, so he would change his body position slightly and try again. Finally, and only after he had successfully wrapped his body only around her, the mating commenced again.

This mating activity of the lampreys was fascinating to watch. Toward the end of my observations, the other male tried to mate with this female, and a fight ensued. The dominant male attached to the other male with his mouth, and swam him away. He returned, and the fight ensued again. Eventually, only the female and the dominant male were there.

By this time, I was getting cold, so I reluctantly pushed off into the downstream current, when across the High Rocks narrows, and surfaced to see whether the fire department was there. I could not see them, nor the lifeguards, so I submerged again and continued downstream. By this time I had only about 600 psig (500 psig reserve still in one cylinder’s J-valve). As I came downsteam, I found myself climbing over boulders, so I briefly surfaced again to gain my bearings, then submerged and got into the main stream.

As I came under the footbridge, and into the more lighted area, I drifted into a face-to-face with a fish I had never seen underwater before, a sturgeon. This is the fabled Columbia River White Sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus Richardson), and it was the biggest fish by far that I have seen in the Clackamas River. My reaction was a hooted expletive through the Healthways Hope-Page mouthpiece. I saw it only for a half a second, and then it turned tail and in one motion was gone. Its head was a full foot across in front of me, and I estimate its length at about six feet.

After my breathing got back down to normal, I continued downstream. I had found a golf ball at High Rocks, but now was downstream and had found a fishing lure. I put it into my BC front pocket, but noted that I had lost the golf all. Oh well, not a big loss. A minute later I drifted by a rock which contained a salmon about 18 inches long, and it couldn’t see me as the right side of its face was damaged by something. It had a long, white laceration where its eye should have been. I decided to try to grab it, by didn’t even get my hard around its tail before it was gone. It was a nice, bright fish, and it is probably good that I did not catch it.

Special Problems and their Proposed Solutions:

8. Oh, how I wished I had carried my camera! But it was the first dive, in dark waters with a high current. My camera is so bulky that it would have been difficult to bring, but I could have gotten some really unique photos of lampreys mating. I probably would not have gotten anything of the sturgeon thought, due to the startle factor.

SeaRat

I went back the following week, but with a big, bulky SLR camera and housing, was unable to reach the area of spawning activity due to the high current. I won't post my entire dive log here, but here are my observations and the special problems:
Observations:

I used much the same equipment, except for my fins, which were Mares Quattro excel and I was using my PJ tanks (42 cubic feet each) with the Mossback Mk 3 regulator. I pushed off from the same place as yesterday with the camera/housing in tow, and was not able to get out of the current. I dove down and again was not able to fight the current to the other side of the river. After two tries, I went again to the bottom, got to the near side of the river and just took stock. I was breathing very hard from fighting the current, and at this point in the dive was pretty disappointed. So I surfaced just below High Rocks, climbed the cliff and called it a day. There was no use in trying to go across again, although I did have another set of gear (my Dacor Nautilus setup) available. I was tired, and I had a lot of other things to do too. So it was disappointing. Many, many things went wrong today, but the PJ tanks and Mossback Mk 3 worked beautifully—saved the day, really because with everything else going wrong, I was very happy to have a dependable scuba.

Special Problems and their Proposed Solutions:

1. I got delayed when, while dressing for the dive a bicyclist crashed about 50 yards from my car. He was hurting badly, and two people were looking after him but no one was calling 911. So I made the call. I went over, and evaluated the kid. The poor guy had a bruise under his eye and most probably a broken right elbow. A nurse was also there, but he was saying that he had a headache too. He had already called his Dad, so his Dad did not have a good Father’s Day. The ambulance arrived (I told them to look for the scuba diver—I kinda stood out). I told them that he had a probable broken right arm, possible head injury (his helmet was being worn, but had been previously broken). By the time I got going toward my dive, I’d been geared up in the sun (without weight belt, but that’s all) for about 25 minutes.
  2. I wore the Mares Quattro|excel fins, and they are not as good as my Scoop Fins. I tried modifying them to bend more just under the toe pocket, but they still don’t and have a large dead area there. They did not move me in the current well.
  3. I had the SeawiscopeEY attached to my mask, and in the heavy current this caused my mask to flood twice. I was holding onto the bottom with my left hand, and my camera with the right. I found that if I looked up and exhaled, the mask would clear without hands, but that took a minute or two.

More to come.

SeaRat

I have finally gotten this video produced. This is not meant to be a "razzle-dazzle" video, but rather a study of the behavior and the water conditions that the Pacific lamprey, Lampetra tridentate, experiences is it goes upstream, finds a suitable place and spawns. It is rather long, but incorporates parts of two different dives, and documents the spawning of the Pacific lamprey.

Enjoy,

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, BS, Zoology, Oregon State University 1975

Back
Top Bottom