Lakes worth Diving in Georgia...A List!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Please add to this list if you can and also give some type of information i.e.

Name: Lake Juliette
Entry Point: Dames Ferry Park
Avg. Viz: 6'-10'
Notes: Dove it in the early Summer and Viz was pretty good but seemed to degrade as the "dog days" of summer progressed. Some boat traffic but outboards are limited to 25hp.

Name: Lake Lanier
Entry Point: West Bank Park
Avg. Viz: 10'-15'
Notes: Very popular lake. Logged most of my dive here during the Winter months. Viz seems to be best during the colder months. There is a "forest" here about 40' or so down so be careful of monofillament fishing line. Check out the Lake Lanier Loonie Birds subforum here at Scubaboard.

Lets add as many as we can think of. For example, I've heard that Blue Ridge has a "crystal clear" lake. If you have dove this lake or know of it please add it to the list.

Jeremy

lake hartwell is a nice lake to dive,its on the south carolina border 85 north,much less boat traffic than lanier

Just wanted to ask, would a new quarry dive site be of interest to Ga divers? Up to 400 feet deep...possible cavern dive as well...

Mike

mikerault:
Just wanted to ask, would a new quarry dive site be of interest to Ga divers? Up to 400 feet deep...possible cavern dive as well...

Mike

Can't speak for GA divers, but I'm sure a lot of TN divers would be interested, especially if it's north GA

mikerault:
Just wanted to ask, would a new quarry dive site be of interest to Ga divers? Up to 400 feet deep...possible cavern dive as well...Mike

I'd be interested... nearest quarry from Atl. is about 100 miles away (that I'm aware of).

Augusta, Georgia has some diving opportunities:
1. Lake Thurmond (Clark Hill Lake to most long time Augustans)
Best sites are both East and West Dam along the rocks. The S.C. side (East Dam) has an airplane at 35' (follow the rock dam out at 20' to find the rope line leading to the plane). The remnants of the old diversion dam used during construction made for an interesting deeper dive (75'- 90'). Depths of up to 125' are a short swim from the plane. Vis varies depending on rain from 6' to 15'+. Water temp this past weekend was 52 degrees with vis about 10 -15'.
2. Savannah River - A nice 1 -1 1/2 hour drift dive from the 5th street marina to the old marina/boathouse downstream. Depths are 20' max. Vis can be great a times 15' -20' during periods of low rain. A lot of history on this dive with a shipwreck (bow, deck planking, boilers and other stuff) just below the first bridge support for the 5th street bridge, the remnants of the old Hamburg docks (cotton docks) that run the length of the dive 1/3 of the way out into the river from the SC side (lots of fish here around the pilings and rocks), and the old Hamburg bridge remains (about 1/2 the way down the GA side). The river is 52 degrees currently and get to about 72 degrees in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom