Lakes and Quarries in Western Ma / Western CT ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Carrig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I come home to Southwick MA once a year and would like to know if there are any lakes or quarries in the Western MA / North West CT area to dive ?

I was also stationed in Groton CT in the late 70's when I was in the Submarine Service. so am familiar with that area as well.

Thanks folks !

No interest,?

No divers in the western MA, NW CT area ?

Living in Memphis TN, there's alot of lakes and quarries within easy driving distance, and the gulf coast of Alabama and Florida makes for a sweet three day weekend.

I was hoping to come home and dive somewhat locally, but this sure isn't encouraging.

Im in SW Connecticut and am looking for places to dive as well. I believe there is a lake in the Torrington area that people dive, it is at a Boy Scout camp. I will find out the name.

Most of us NE divers prefer the ocean. I personally dive the east side of MA and RI.

Right now is a hard time as access to a lot of the sites is blocked.

Im in SW Connecticut and am looking for places to dive as well. I believe there is a lake in the Torrington area that people dive, it is at a Boy Scout camp. I will find out the name.

You most likely heard of West Hill Pond on the Barkhamsted/New Hartford line. It does have a boy scout camp but you would need permission to enter there. That said the only place I know of to enter publically is Brodie Park. I know a couple of people who dive there and will be trying to hook up with them when it gets warmer. I have heard there is usually a thermocline so never a really warm place to dive.

There is also a pond used for training a lot in Union Ct that is in Bigelow State park. It's 25ish in the cove where you can access it, not a lot to see but sometimes a fair amount of fish that will follow you around. I like it but I may be the only one.

The one quarry I am aware of is Brownstone in Portland, it is a swimming, zip line place but does allow diving. I have never been so I can't really give a review.

I am sure there are other secret spots people have but you may have to know someone to get in to them.

I was hoping to come home and dive somewhat locally, but this sure isn't encouraging.
There is not much. Squantz Pond in NW CT has been used as a dive training site and there was an area set up for divers. I haven't dived SP in over 20 years. There is diving in Candlewood Lake which is nearby and I remember reading about dives to a submerged highway bridge and remnants of an old town, both of which were flooded when the lake was created. Never dove CL and the lake has a reputation of being busy with boat traffic and with a number of boating accidents and incidents. There is a dive shop in Brookfield, CT and you may be able to find more information on diving SP or CL from them or by searching out dive info for SP or CL.

I dive our local lake in warmer weather, but stay above the thermocline (at about 25') with not much to see - the usual fresh water fish, a turtle now and then and once an American eel. Vis varies.

As someone already mentioned, we head to the ocean where I find it much more interesting diving.

Otis Res has very few boats on it right now as far as Western Mass goes. As stated most (ALL) of us head to the ocean. Covid has made out of state off-limits ( Jamestown/ Newport) and the Wealthy $$$ have done the same to us in Rockport Mass. Most beaches are closed now because of Covid anyways.

Unless you have personal cell numbers very few scuba shops are open to rent to or fill you. Hopefully they are able to re-open and not close permanently. Bad timing for your travels unfortunately.

If the plague wasn’t going on I am sure several of us would make the drive with you down to the ocean or at the least meet up with you.

Whether or not we get into trouble going to RI right now depends on which law enforcement officer you encounter but could be risky.

Cape Ann residents have been trying to do this for years. COVID is just an excuse, there is some talk among some of us about filing suit once the courts reopen but with them closed options are limited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom