Lake ... Weir?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWAMPY459

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really like the drift dive in the santa fe between the springs around Ginnie during the times of the year that the water is clear. There is a lot more life than in some of the springs... lots of plants and driftwood and freshwater fish.

I don't particularly like dealing with the current, you can't really stop and look at some things.

I started looking into lakes.. Down south there's a lake denton that is frequently dove, it is spring fed and has a sand bottom, the problem is its a heck of a haul from Gainesville.

I found some references to people having dove Lake Kingsley around Starke but apparently the only public access park closed down.

Lake weir is described (not sure how accurately) on a real estate site as "spring fed with a sand bottom" ...

I've never been to Lake Weir, even to fish, and I know that the visibility will not be as good as the springs, and its' only a 20 foot deep dive, but do you think lake weir would be diveable or would it be like zero vis?? I know people boat and swim there a lot according to the web.

I have done a considerable amount of boating on Lake Weir, and I would say depending on where you are at the lake you could maybe get 3-4 feet of vis.

I ski on Lake Weir, in my opinion... It's not worth diving. 10' of vis on a good day probably, but nothing to see.
Take a cavern & cave class and open up a world of sites to dive.

I ski on Lake Weir, in my opinion... It's not worth diving. 10' of vis on a good day probably, but nothing to see.
Take a cavern & cave class and open up a world of sites to dive.

Though I do think a cavern class would come in handy, I don't have any urge to be a cave diver. there are no plants in a cave... or much wildlife either...

Any suggestions on lakes within a reasonable driving distance of Gainesville that might have at least somewhat ok visibility? deep depth is not a necessity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom