Lake Travis Labor day wknd and AOW class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This past weekend was Yellowfinkunkfish's AOW class out at Lake Travis. I also had a DMC with me and Kunk hung out with us as well.

The first two dives were off the Giant Stride with Lake Travis scuba. We did Starns Island and the old scuba park. Having seen neither before, I enjoyed both dives. We had 8 divers on the boat. It was a little cramped, but I still think it is a great operation. I'm sending him a TSD sticker soon. We need to make his boat official. I'll use him for future classes. Texasdiveguy and In10se were with us. It was really good to see Alan and meet Larry.

Rhonda's bouyancy skills are fantastic for someone with just 50 dives. She can drop into a horizontal attidude, not kick up the bottom, and hold a safety stop very well.

Next we did a night dive at Windy Point. I really think we ended up with a drum Aplodinotus grunniens hunting with us. That or we saw a bunch of them.

Sunday was the last two dives including a navigation dive. We need more work here, but that will come. I know people with much more experience who can't run a compass under water.

We ended up seeing Bluegill, Red breast sunfish, green sunfish, longear sunfish, Rio Grande Cichlids, channel cats, drum, largemouth bass, and a carp.

We had multiple dives over an hour. The last was the shortest at about 35 minutes. Part of that was my sinuses had had enough. I haven't downloaded my comupter so I don't know water temps. It gets chilly below 65-70 feet.

We briefly met K-valve and zinc, and a pretty young lady with them, but I don't recall who she was. Air temps were hot and it was pretty still. A breeze would have been nice. We caught a couple really brief showers. Just enough to jack the humidity up a little bit. I admit, I was suprised at how few people were there at the park.

All in all, a really fine weekend.

Ok, I downloaded my computer.

I'm showing 72 degrees at 70ft. Otherwise temps are about 86 at the surface and upper 70's in the 60ft range.

TwoBit

Tom, great recap of our trek out with Robert and Lake Travis Scuba (pontoon diving)!

Always a pleasure diving and visiting with my fellow north Texas Swampers/DIMWITS....and meeting the other divers was nice.

Kory and I buddied up for 2 nice dives. Our first dive profile around the island was awesome..... 44min.//94ffw//69f//vis at depth 10-15ft. We did the second dive in and around the 'old' dive park.....vis was not generally as good but still nice for us Tx. Swamp Divers...... 56min.//56ffw//86f//vis varied.

Overall a nice day trip for me down to Lake Travis.

:D

What a weekend!! I had the best class! The dives were all fun, even the last one, cause even though I didn't do so good on the nav, I still got to hang out with tons of fish at the platform! I saw a LOT of fish this weekend, which I love. One of the main reasons I enjoy diving so much, is that I love to watch the fish. I saw a lot of different sunfish I had never seen before, and the Rio Grande Cichlids were a real treat, they are by far the coolest looking fish I've seen in a Lake. It was also fun to see TexDiveguy again, and meet In10se. Nice to see K-valve, and meet Zinc over at Windy Point.

The Giant Stride was very cool, Robert has a very nice boat, and service. I highly recommend it to anyone going to dive at Lake Travis.

I also highly recommend my instructor, to anyone thinking of taking AOW, or any class for that matter. Go to Adventure Scuba in Plano, and ask for Tom Vyles as your instructor. No offense to any other instructors there, (they are all good!) but he's my favorite.:)

You WILL have a great class!

Rhonda:D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom