Lake Travis, how low?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll bet that by August diving to the bottom of the dam will only involve waders and climbing gear (ascent).

This year reminds me of 2000.

According to diver reports from this weekend Broken Bow is way FULL. With pinged depths showing only some 30ft. from shore in the 170ft. range, shear cliffs/lots of trees.......and well worth the trip and dive/s.

Been getting lots of rain in DFW, doesn't appear to have affected the lake level at all, its like, the lake comes up an inch from rain and the very next day they let out 2 inches or something like that.

Been getting lots of rain in DFW, doesn't appear to have affected the lake level at all, its like, the lake comes up an inch from rain and the very next day they let out 2 inches or something like that.

Stop watering your yard so much............ :D

Stop watering your yard so much............ :D

Haven't been needing to at all lately with all that rain, but I bet those days are over now. I hate watering my lawn, when I first moved to Texas I said this is retarted I'm not watering my lawn. I changed my mind after it turned brown and felt like crunchies when I walked on it.

If the lake drops low enough, that would be a great oprotunity to get out onto the dry lake parts and beef up the scuba parks for when the lake recovers.

Record low is 614 feet

Has the low lake level affected viz any? I know Lake Arlington has a tendency to "turn over" and completely muck up when the water level gets a little too low.

Peace,
Greg

How long does it take for lakes that size to rise? I have never bothered to keep up with stuff like that.

Lots of rain this year and up to normal by next summer? Or multiple years?

With a lot of rain in the right places (e.g. the hill country) it could rise in a matter of a couple of days like it did in 2007. It wasn't this low, but not far off. It was great too because they had to let out A LOT of water to keep it from flooding. They let out all the cold water from the bottom. Temps were similar from surface to the river bed and viz was awesome for about a year.

Right now viz is variable. I've seen better and I've seen worse. It's kind of in layers. The first 10' aren't that great, then you hit a little thermocline and you get 15' of good viz, then it gets bad then there is another thermocline, etc. Last time I was in the channel it was real low viz though. Like diving in milk...'cept colder. LOL!

How long does it take for lakes that size to rise? I have never bothered to keep up with stuff like that.

Lots of rain this year and up to normal by next summer? Or multiple years?

With a lot of rain in the right places (e.g. the hill country) it could rise in a matter of a couple of days like it did in 2007. It wasn't this low, but not far off. It was great too because they had to let out A LOT of water to keep it from flooding. They let out all the cold water from the bottom. Temps were similar from surface to the river bed and viz was awesome for about a year.

Right now viz is variable. I've seen better and I've seen worse. It's kind of in layers. The first 10' aren't that great, then you hit a little thermocline and you get 15' of good viz, then it gets bad then there is another thermocline, etc. Last time I was in the channel it was real low viz though. Like diving in milk...'cept colder. LOL!

I remember when it was like 74 degrees at 170 feet, that was pretty cool, however that kept windex from forming :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom