Lake Texoma: Eisenhower SP 08/17/2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met up with Kunk at the park about 10am this morning. The air temp was a really pleasant low 80's with a very gentle breeze. He and I geared up and hiked it down to the swim beach. There were some people there, but not a whole bunch. I forgot my compass so he got to run the dive. We headed West (left) from the swim cove and cruised at around 30feet. Vis opened up to 5 feet or so below 25 feet. Water temp was between 82 and 86 *F. We found several flathead catfish. Most were doing a really good "I'm a log, you can't see me" impression. We were messing with one that was holed up in the roots of a tree stump and I was sure I was going to get bit by the swarming bluegill. If it had been CSSP, I would have been bit. Really nice 51 minute dive.

Took the arduous hike back up hill. It's not as bad as the hike at Mansfield, but it's bad enough. TPWD did some work on the stairs. They shortened the big steps that were there. It was nice.

We took off for lunch and to go get Rhonda. I had Japapeno Tree for the first time. Not bad for Mexican. The service lacked alot though. They were busy. Also met up with Illini fan there.

Fastforward to dive two. Illini and I split off from the Kunks real quick. He and I found a fishing rod and a mushroom anchor. Left them there. Too early in the dive to tote the whole dive. Both had been on the bottom awile. He shot a bucket to the surface. I'm sure from the surface that looked interesting. Especially since they really aren't accustomed to haveing divers in the lake. This one was a little longer at 54 min. Not counting a short SI to reconvene after separation. Max depth 47ft.

I don't doubt vis probably improved as it got deeper. We never did find a thermal. Unless we have a dry spring, late summer may be the best time to dive this lake.

Enjoyed the diving and company.

TwoBit

Great report Tom! This was a great weekend.

I don't really have alot to add, but I'll tell you about that same catfish that was hanging out under his stump. Rhonda and I came across the same stump, and sure enough, the cool cat was still there. While Rhonda was doing a great job going inverted and really checking him out, I went to the other side and just at the right moment, grabbed the kitties tail, and I'm sure you can figure out what direction he went. Rhonda said she got a bit of water up her nose during the bolt....:eyebrow:

Rhonda ended up finding a really cool piece of what I think is quartz. Other than that, saw alot of cool rock outcroppings sticking out of the sand. The bottom is a mix of some areas of sand, some of clay, and other spots of mud. All in all, I really enjoy diving that area. Plenty of different things to see, and it has a creepy factor since it gets so dark after 25 ft.

I want the weekend back......:shakehead:

I just wanted to add that I enjoyed this dive a lot more than I expected to! I mainly wanted to go, and check out my weighting, but decided I didn't want to mess with it, because I was a little nervous. I was pleasantly surprised! I really enjoyed the differences in terrain on the bottom. At Murray, you're either looking at mud, or you're over near the shore, looking at rocks. In Texoma, you can be cruising along checking out the sand, and then come across a patch of really neat rocks and tree stumps, then sand again for awhile, and so on... At about 40 feet, it gets very quiet, kind of dark, and really, really peaceful. I liked it a lot. I'll definitely go back. The vis is really no worse than Murray on a bad day. 3-5 feet most of the time.

Rhonda:D

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the Report !

I need to take the spear gun there some time. :wink:

Thanks for the Report !

I need to take the spear gun there some time. :wink:

The cats would have been legal on the okie side. We saw the game warden in the park and he even stopped to say hello. I got a little envious of the rifle he had between the drivers and passengers seats.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom