Lake report: Murray Jan 20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I think we all noted that the surrounding farm ponds (stock tanks) had ice on them.

I was the last one to show right at 9:30a. It was a pretty, clear day with a light breeze blowing. We all geared up kinda slowing, probably due to a little trepidation to getting into what we knew was going to be cold water.

By 10:30 we were all geared up. Frank and Alan dove together and John and I, Rhonda and Kory buddied. After some weight checking and discussion as to what we were going to do we all dropped down and made a dive, the dive, the only dive.

Computer water temps ranged from 42-45*F. Mine showed 45. The four of us did a remarkable job of staying together for a 30 minute dive with a max 63' depth. Vis, for me, ranged from 4-12 feet with ample light penetration at max depth.

We surfaced to warm up in the warming tent and have a fine lunch provided by the Kunkles and prepared by John. Thanks again yall.:D

Great brownies prepared by Rhonda, and great pies procured by Kory. I didn't do anything but dive.

All in all, a fine day with fine people.

TwoBit

Those Kunkles are almost as gracious as the Amish! And the brownies!!! In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "Mmmmmm, brownies, aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

Thanks for the report. I'm just sorry I had to do all my diving this weekend vicariously through you all.

We had a wonderful day at the lake....good food and nice fellowship and a great 48 min. dive with max. depth of 72ffw/44f.,,,vis was fair to good. :)

PS---I BLAME Kory/John on those great burgers..and Kory for that cherry pie and Rhonda for her homemade brownies....with all that great comfort food I think we all just got 'soft' and comfy and whimped out on the second dive--:mooner:

It was a great day, and a nice dive! I hadn't been to that area of the lake before, so it was interesting, and VERY cold.

My new socks helped a lot, my feet didn't hurt as bad as they did on New Year's day, the new hood kept my head toasty warm, but the rest of me was still COLD. So, I won't be going again until the temps creep up into the 50's.

A note to everyone out there looking for a cold water wetsuit, don't buy a hyperstretch if you're trying to keep warm in 45 degree water. :shakehead: Maybe it's just me personally, but it just doesn't work. When you're standing out in the sun, all geared up waiting, and you can feel the cold wind coming through your 7mil, it's not a good sign.:D

Thanks TwoBit, for inviting us out to dive with you, it's always fun!!

Rhonda

I had a great time. Thank ya'll for showing up. Did anybody else get sunburned ???
Man...... my neck was so red when I got home ! ( some would tell me it was already red )

Good eats !!! Yummy ! Rhonda , if your feet, hands and head were comfortable then that is about all you can hope for in a wet suit this time of year. The plus is that when Summer comes there will be no thermocline that can stop you.
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom