Lake Okanagan Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flora

Reaction score
I will be up there middle of June and would like to get some diving in.

Anyone know a good dive shop there that I can find a dive buddy to show me around.

Thanks
Heather

I don't mean to sound silly, but what can one expect to see lake diving such as in Lake Okanagan? I thought that lake fish are very easily scared. What other kinds of life are there except ogopogo? All silliness aside, is there sunken boats to look at?
Les

Apparently Inner Space in Vernon is also quite good. I've never been but I've received a Christmas gift or 2 from there. I've been into DD a few times, but not since they've opened the new shop and never to dive with them. Those I know that do dive with them seem to be quite pleased. Ntt, for example :wink:

Les:
I don't mean to sound silly, but what can one expect to see lake diving such as in Lake Okanagan? I thought that lake fish are very easily scared. What other kinds of life are there except ogopogo? All silliness aside, is there sunken boats to look at?
Les

I dove Thetis last year, as part of the cleanup. The local trout (?) were a lot more friendly than I though. Got about as close as Perch (close, but not too close). Also saw a lot of crayfish.

It was interesting to try, though I doubt I'd make a habit of it.

Maybe he'll see Ogopogo.

- ChillyWaters

Well, its lake diving. You need to be ready for it.

It is cold, even in the summer. All I can really say is to enjoy what is there.
To look at the lake off the bat, there isnt much there to be honest.
But if you really enjoy diving, anyone from DD will be able to show you a good time.
There are a couple walls you can check out over near the westside.

The best dive I could suggest is to do the OK Bridge at night. Its definatly a dive you need a guide on, easy to get lost under there if your not used to the area. But if you have a good guide, hit the bottom, turn your lights off and look up and listen. Its creepy but a very cool dive at the same time! Again, I must stress that you have a guide for that dive though, even if you have alot of night diving expierence!
I would take you if I still lived in the area.

Contact DD. Im sure they will be happy to tell you what dives are avaliable!

Speaking of in the area... when are you gonna come diving in your new (relative term) area, Matty??? Hmmm? There's a boat dive to Bowyer on the 3rd (that's a Saturday) that I'm leading with a few spots still available. You KNOW I'd show you a good time. If you can make it out to Kits we can get you to the boat one way or another. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you all the details.

~ness

ChillyWaters:
The local trout (?) were a lot more friendly than I though.

That should have said...

The local trout (?) were a lot more friendly than I thought.

Though, in all fairness, they probably were more friendly than me.

- ChillyWaters

thanks for all the responces!

Even though it is a lake I think I will enjoy it. I have found some good stuff on a couple lake dives.

Heather

Back
Top Bottom