Lake Norfork Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Woohoo!!! Visibility has improved! :D

Last week I would have characterized the viz as "snot" with "scuba loogies" suspended in the first 25 feet of the water, but not anymore!!! All of that seems to have settled to the bottom, leaving the water much, much clearer than before.

I dove the VW Van and had at least 15 feet of viz at 45 feet of depth. I even got 5 to 7 feet above the thermoclime. I would say it was roughly the same at the Rickety Wreck.

The fish are all still shallow...just sweating in the 87 degree surface temps, but to move down is to move into the vast wide open and they are still avoiding it. To spear fish, drop into 30 feet of water. Swim up to the brushline at 22 feet and look up.

I thought you should know about a fun diving event coming up soon!!! The Norfork Lake Chamber of Commerce and Jordan Marina are having the Annual Treasure Hunt on August 16, 2008. It's a benefit for the American Cancer Society.

Last year 80 divers and their families participated and over $7000 in prizes were given out!

Due to lake levels, the event will be held at the lake's edge in the Jordan Campground. There will actually be some shade their for the families and friends of the divers! Tokens are hidden no deeper than 40 feet and you can get more air fills if you need them during the contest.

There will be a scavenger hunt for the families while the diving is going on. This event is a lot of fun and I hope that you can make it!

As for a current diving update...
Norfork is even hotter now... the surface temp is 89! It feels GREAT to get under the thermoclime and cool off! Visibility is still good under the thermoclime, but not so good above it. The fish are still hanging in the submerged brush (the first 17 feet of shoreline.) They've got to move down soon or they are all going to overheat, but for now, it's like shooting fish in a barrel!

Hey! Is this either Dan or Denise?
Good to hear that the water is clearing up! Last time we were there you could hardly see your hand in front of your face!
We will definantly have to head up there for the dive on the 16th! If not SOONER!

Micah

good to find out the viz is better good to here from the Jordan crew!

Bill Kendall

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom