Lake Murray, Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdad2008

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
looking at planning a weekend at lake murray. can anyone give me some insight on water temps. this time of year, lake conditions, what to expect if you have ever dove there before. thanks for the info.

Go to the corps of engineers web site. . . they offer water temperature for most of the lakes they control, as well as the lake levels, and other lake information. I would check for you buy my computer at home crashed and I don't have the link at work.

The water will be cold, and the temperature will be almost the same from top to bottom, So you might try some of the deeper areas near the dam, or near that tower on the west side, if you have a boat. The water will normally move less in the deeper layers, and in this weather you're most likely to find fish deep.

I hope you have a thick wetsuit. . . and bring a large thermos of warm water. If you fill your wetsuit before the dive with warm, not scalding water, you'll start the dive warmer. And, at the end of the dive pour warm water into your suit before you pull it off, it will restore some of your body warmth. Hot chocolate with sugar will revive your energy quickly after the dive also.

It's been quite a few years, but I used to dive year round, but now I just remember those dives, even under the ice. . . while watching football with nothing colder than a beer.

I took too much for granted. . . information about the lake. Take highway 77 off of I-35 and go east to highway 77S There is a state park with a boat ramp, but pretty shallow water. . . you can look to the south where there is a bluff and a stone building close to the water. At the base of the building is some of the deeper water close to shore, about 30 plus feet deep with a sandy bottom. If you turn south on 77S it will cross the dam and there is a park. The water there isn't very deep till you get quite a distance from shore. Be sure to have a dive flag, and I like to tow it with me as I head for the middle, and water about 30 feet.

The lake is like a shallow bowl, with most fish life in the middle of the lake. In warmer water, May, June, July, etc. Lots of sunfish will move into the sandy shallower areas, and are fun to practice your stalking skills. Bass and other predators will come up to the level with the baitfish, and look for cover to ambush these sunfish. It's a fun lake for easy diving, and fairly clear if you're not trailing behind other divers.

Other Oklahoma lakes that are good for divers are further away from you. Lake Elmer Thomas is just north of Lawton in the southwest part of the state. Good visability, except when full of dive instructors with swarms of check out divers. . . like swarms of locusts, stirring up the bottom. There are several roads that can take you to smaller, quieter places. Deeper water can be found near the dam, with an older dam, underwater.

Lake Tenkiller, is on the eastern edge of the state, about 10 miles norh of I-40. . . It has a couple of dive shops for air or equiment rental. On the southeast corner of the lake is Tenkiller State Park, with cabins and campground. It has Oklahoma's only underwater state park, with sunken boats, school bus and other surprises. Tenkiller is a deep, rocky lake, with good visibility when not flooded, like this past year and frequent tropical storms overhead.

Check out Texas Swamp Divers, they just posted Lake conditions at Murray. It sounds like the lake is good right now.

Back
Top Bottom