Lake Murray, Ok.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Three of us (me-John-Frank and his new little 'pony')met up at Lake Murray for a few dips on Sat.. Weather was quite nice upon arrival.....cool and very lite breeze, and a bit of sun. Well conditions changed about the time we dropped down....winds were up from the northern front that hit that area on its way south. We did only one dive as the conditions were worse upon surfacing....35mph winds from the north and higher gusts....temps in the 40's and cold wind chills....the 'surf' was at least 2ft. at the shoreline which is quite rocky.....makes for an exciting exit! We opted to pack it in and grab some TexMex on the way out of town.....great day though....makes for a bit of a challenge. :D Dive: 34min.//87ffw//43f//vis-ok.

That was a text book Blue Northern We could see it and feel it coming.
Looking out across the lake it was like seeing a giant blue bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin in the sky. Actually, as it got closer it got darker and it started to look more like a huge bottle of Sky Vodka :D
It was really pretty but it was big and I figure that that much Gin or Vodka would hammer anybody and so would the Front when it hit Us.
Just before it did we ducked under water for the dive. We could feel the shore waves when were surfacing at about 10 feet.
I could have used some of that Gin or Vodka when I got out to warm up that's for sure :wink:

Spring is on it's way though. Once the water reaches 43 degrees it can't do much else except get warmer ! I actually saw 5 fish including a fine and tasty looking Lake Trout.

Wow, that exit in 2 ft surf sounds like an average day in Malibu or Palos Verdes, of course, if the winds are blowing 35 mph there you'd probably have 6' waves and I'd never attempt that.

I rounded up all my gear yesterday, so I'm about ready to try some fresh water diving.

czzzaar:
Wow, that exit in 2 ft surf sounds like an average day in Malibu or Palos Verdes, of course, if the winds are blowing 35 mph there you'd probably have 6' waves and I'd never attempt that.

I rounded up all my gear yesterday, so I'm about ready to try some fresh water diving.

When the waves get bigger then 2 feet up in Oklahoma I bring my surf boards. :rofl3:
Not really , but I still have two of them from my early days. It's hard to find conditions that favor using them in these parts. Yestersday they might have been fun to have :D

texdiveguy:
Three of us (me-John-Frank and his new little 'pony')met up at Lake Murray for a few dips on Sat.. Weather was quite nice upon arrival.....cool and very lite breeze, and a bit of sun. Well conditions changed about the time we dropped down....winds were up from the northern front that hit that area on its way south. We did only one dive as the conditions were worse upon surfacing....35mph winds from the north and higher gusts....temps in the 40's and cold wind chills....the 'surf' was at least 2ft. at the shoreline which is quite rocky.....makes for an exciting exit! We opted to pack it in and grab some TexMex on the way out of town.....great day though....makes for a bit of a challenge. :D Dive: 34min.//87ffw//43f//vis-ok.
Thanks for the report Alan. Too cold for me. And vis-ok sound pretty suspect based on some of the dives you and Frank have made and reported on before. That one at the lake north of Paris comes to mind. The TexMex sounds good though, though.

Willie

wet-willie:
Thanks for the report Alan. Too cold for me. And vis-ok sound pretty suspect based on some of the dives you and Frank have made and reported on before. That one at the lake north of Paris comes to mind. The TexMex sounds good though, though.

Willie

We had 3-8ft. of vis.....good for Murray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom