lake martin 9/16/06 dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hatman0_13

Reaction score
me & woody hit the lake at @ 3:00 and dropped in @ 3:15. they are in the process of lowering the water level of the lake now as they do every year. so far the water appears to have dropped @ 4 feet. the first 10-15 feet or so was crystal clear with visibility dropping significantly ( diving in milk ) from 15-45 ft. before clearing up to @ 15-20 ft. the rest of the way. we hit a max depth of 95 ft. on the first dive lasting @ 45 minutes. with water temp. hitting the 56 degree mark. picked up a few odds & ends from the debris field ( beer can jungle ) but nothing to really write home about ( anchors, few pairs of glasses, and oooold beer cans ). woody got caught up in an old anchor line someone had cut away from but managed to get loose before i got back over to help him out. saw several large schools of bream & shell crackers in the shallows below the rock but no bass or catfish. surfaced below the rock and made the swim back to the boat ( @ 200 yards ) when some yells my name and asks where we've been. i replied that we'd been playing hide and go seek when i heard some kid say that they were looking at fish as he jumped into the water & swam over to the boat. me & woody started laughing uncontrollably as we realized that my mother wasn't the only one who thought brett was a good name for her kid. it made it even funnier that we had both started swimming to the same boat before the kid answered his dad ( who looked at us like a couple of window lickers ).:w-t-f: made another dive @ 2 hours later looking for a good stump to attach our mooring bouy to in @ 85 feet of water. this one was more uneventful but cold as ever. found yet another anchor that we may pick up at a later date with some good prospects for bouy placement. should have that taken care of by weeks end. ended the day with some of smedleys post dive libation ( cold corona w/ lime ) and enjoyed that until we were down to busch light ( served w/ lime also ) which quickly proved the old adage true. you can't make chicken soup out of chicken s***. hope everyone on the coast is enjoying the warm water as much as we are the cold up here.

Great report, I still need to head up there to dive Martin. Probably gonna have to bring a wetsuit though... friggin sucks! LOL

don't bring less than a 5 & you'll probably want a hood too. friggin sucks even more. but thanks for not rubbing those t-shirt dives in my face too hard.:mooner: :D

Bah, I've dived mid-50s before... 3mm + hoodvest is fine for multiple dives as long as I can warm up on the surface.

o.k. o.k it's your hypothermia. wait did you say hood/vest? that'll put you over the 5 mark................................sissy. j/k. working on getting a heater for the ole ponpoon boat now. nights starting to chill off a bit. be needing one topside in the near future i'm afraid.

I'm always looking for new spots close to home. Where do you all dive at Lake Martin? Is there a place to dive off the shore? Anybody tried Logan Martin?

With over 700 miles (!) of shoreline, Lake Martin was the largest man-made impoundment in the world when the dam was finished in '38.
It's about 45 miles NE of Montgomery.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom