Lake Malawi Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kommisarrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Cape Maclear on Lake Malawi is our local dive spot. I did some still photography for the first time ever (only used a GoPro before) this weekend with a Sony RX100 M2 and a single Ikelite DS51 strobe, all bought used. Only editing was done in windows photo editor. Welcome any feedback on taking pictures. I did everything in manual and have a newfound respect after trying to figure out ISO, shutter speed, aperture, strobe power, and strobe positioning for each shot. Ugh.

Otherwise, enjoy pics of Lake Malawi:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155843700@N02/albums/72157691118632302

Very nice. Going full manual seems like a real PITA—I’ve never tried it. Does your setup allow the flash to function TTL/auto?

Nice pictures. I had a big aquarium with malawi-ciklids before, i like.

How is the diving in lake Malawi? How is it for tourists?

Nice pictures. I had a big aquarium with malawi-ciklids before, i like.

How is the diving in lake Malawi? How is it for tourists?

To be blunt, I wouldn't make a special trip here just for the diving. On the upside, it's warm water, fresh water, very little (if any) current, all boat diving, laid back crews, sunshine, friendly people, etc... And if you had cichlids in an aquarium, it might be interesting for you. But, the lake is basically catfish, cichlids, and rocks. Visibility can be hit or miss and God help you if there's a medical emergency. Also, tourist facilities tend to cater to very high end or very low end. And even those are not up to international standards. Only about 10%-20% of the country has electricity and blackouts are frequent (and routinely last 8-12 hours). Your lodging may have aircon or fan, but not if they are on generator, which is a luxury in and of itself. We are really, really off the beaten path.

As far as I know there are five dive ops in the country spread out in four locations, only one of which has nitrox (and the only qualified gas blender there just left the country). They are all small operations and mostly do discovery dives. I've only twice seen someone else with their own gear in 18 months of diving here every other month or so.

If you're here for a safari or visiting friends or doing NGO work or doing something else, then yes, go diving--if for nothing else the uniqueness. But there are world class destinations near us (Mozambique and South Africa come to mind) which are MUCH better set up.

Very nice. Going full manual seems like a real PITA—I’ve never tried it. Does your setup allow the flash to function TTL/auto?

For some reason, the TTL function doesn't seem to work, so it was a lot of shoot, check, and adjust. I tried to focus on one setting at a time to try to learn, so put the strobe at 3/4 power for a set of shots and just messed with shutter speed and aperture. And that type of thing with different permutations.

Back
Top Bottom