Lake Juliette in the Fall/Winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone dive it in the colder months?

I know the camping area is closed after the 31 of October, but the boat ramps are still open.

The wife and I live 15 minutes away.

We are just starting to ask that question. I have been going about 2-3 times a month since June, but not sure about the winter. We were just told about the campground closing, and I actually didn't know the boat ramps would still be open. There is a pretty good group of us from Warner Robins that would be up for diving there this winter.

The other thing to worry about is Georgia Power. Right now, they make us get permission from them and then sign in at the campground before diving. Since the campground is going to be closed...?

I'll try to find out some more details. I for one would like to see how the vis improves over the winter. I'll be up for diving there until the temps drop below 45 or so.

Mark

19Delta,

It's a pretty good local dive for the middle georgia area. Our dive profiles generally stay in the 20 foot range and follow the plant life along the lake shore. Although it's mainly a fishing lake, they don't allow boats over 25hp, so they stay away from us.

We have started to try some exploration of deeper areas, but it hasn't been too fruitful this fall, mainly due to low vis. In the shallow areas, the vis varies from 4-5 ft to 15 feet on a remarkably clear day, but in and below the thermocline this fall it's been 1-2 feet (if we were lucky). We are hoping the vis this winter clears up to depth and, if Georgia Power allows us, we'll be checking it out until it gets too cold.

Let me know when you're interested in diving and I'll let you know how the permission process, etc...works.

Mark

Thanks for the information...

We have not dove it yet. Infact we go for our OW dives this weekend. We thought the lake would be a good practice area.

I wonder if they would take a faxed release since the campground is closed in the winter.

I sent them an email yesterday asking that question. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. When I do, I'll let you know

Well the wife and I are certified as of yesterday, and want to get wet.

I need to work on equalizing, and Juliette looks like a good place to practice.:D

I talked with Georgia Power and we are still allowed to dive Lake Juliette during the winter, we just can't use the Campground at Dames Ferry (which has a nice pavillion and easy entry into the water) until they open in the spring. The boat ramp side of Dames Ferry should still be open and the Holly Grove area is available as well.

The boat ramp side of Dames Ferry makes for a pretty nasty entry. The last time I went in there, the mud walking in was pretty deep, but once you get through that, it's a normal LJ dive. We actually walked in up the boat ramp to avoid sloughing through the mud on the way out.

We have never been up to Holly Grove, but the map I had doesn't look all that promising, but I don't know what it'll actually look like. We are talking about heading up there a couple of times to check it out.

I'm not sure what the group plans are for diving there in the next couple weeks, but we generally try to get out there when we can. If you want to dive there, you need to send an email to daellis@southernco.com and wmgreene@southernco.com with your name, phone #, address, and copy of your DL. You have to send it each time you want to go out. The first time they'll probably call you to make sure the # is good, and then they'll give permission. While the campground is open, you have to sign in, but it looks like his permission (via email) will suffice while the campground is closed.

PM me with your email address if you like and I'll add you to our group list of people who dive there regularly.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom