Lake Dive Wed/thurs this week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone interested in a morning lake dive this week? I'm test driving a doublehose (thus the desire for FW) and wouldn't mind the company. I'm thinking either Cultus or Buntzen but I have to leave for school by noon so that probably means one dive.

Dove Cultus today and thought I'd give a little report. I was focussing on skills so I didn't take any pic's (sorry).

The gate to entrance bay was closed but the boat ramp parking area just to the south was open, which was good as I discovered it to be the best entry point for that area. I splashed at the boat ramp and swam north along the shore at 50-60' till I turned the dive and returned south at 30' to my entry point.

This was my second dive with a DA Aquamaster doublehose and I found it to be better than my first. A doublehose has a higher WOB than a modern single hose but it can be mitigated to a large degree by proper positioning of the cans. The first dive I did used a ABS bacpac which held the cans too high and far up my back. This dive I used a converted US army backpack frame from the 50's and it worked much better. Positioning and diaphram muscle conditioning is everything.

There are some basic techniques for clearing the regs etc... but it's not rocket surgery. I found myself quite comfortable with the reg after a few minutes and really enjoyed the dive. You could use the analogy that diving a DH is like driving an old sportscar with a manual transmission. For long trips or daily commuting it might be somewhat of a pain compaired to a modern car with an automatic I'm stupid and power steering but it can also be quite satisfying to get out and experience the pure sensation of "driving". I would say that diving a DH is a very conscious act as ones body position plays such an important part in the regs function and you feel yourself breathing.

I also tested out my Voit custom model Duckfeet which worked great and an old AL Aqaurius depth gauge that didn't (actually it was very acurate up to 23' but stayed pegged there for the rest of the dive).

Lastly, I did my dive with a J valved ST72 sans BC or SPG (though I have a HP banjo fitting I could use) but I did sling a pony... just in case.

I'm still learning myself but if anyone else is interested in trying a doublehose let me know and we can take turns using this one while spotting each other. Cultus main beach is a good place to start as it is flat and shallow without too much of a siltout problem.

Nice. Hopefully the pony was made out of an old fire extinguisher just to keep it legit. A double-hose reg (or a rebreather) is not something that I intend on using. I may be misinformed, but the higher WOB and dead-air space would probably wreak havoc with my CO2 levels on some of the higher-current dives that I do. Maybe that's why dive classes back then insisted on fitness. I'm sure Mike Nelson could swim against a 3-knot current while holding his breath.

I'm working on the fire extinguisher. The problem is not really the tank but rather getting someone to fill it. My guy draws the line at 1/2" threaded :idk:

I don't think I would want to dive a DH on a challenging dive like that either. I see myself doing low/no current dives in the 50' range mainly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom