Lake Amistad ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
Has anybody dived lake amistand and what did you think about it, anything good to see, water temp, viz, dive shops?

We are considering going in a few weeks therefore any info would be appreciated, thanks.

This time of year, the water's likely to be all stirred up from wind. I've dove it in late April before, and the vis can get BAD. I recommend finding a protected cove to dive, preferably one filled with hydrilla. The plants act as sediment screens, and all the fish hang out around them. Just be real careful not to run your boat over the hydrilla, 'else you're likely to entangle your prop.

Where are you going, it's a HUGE lake. Vis varies greatly with enviromental conditions at the lake as well as in the watershed. I ran across this little known fact, Goodenough Springs, now submerged in Amistad, is probably the deepest u/w cave it the US.

www.goodenoughsprings.org

Humanphibian

"Scuba diving Amistad's exceptionally clear water makes it an excellent place for scuba diving. A dive cove is located at Diablo East. Depending on lake levels there are several submerged ranch houses to explore. Register with a park ranger or at park headquarters before you dive, and pick up a copy of "Dive Amistad Safely." Use your dive flag, know your safe limits and never dive alone."

I've never been there and I'm not sure to what part we would go, I was looking around on the net and they say around 20' visibility.

We dove there a lot about 10 years ago but then the lake level went down and we quit going. The viz was around 20ft when we went most of the time. The shore diving is a bit tricky have to walk down huge boulders to get to the water. It was much better when we had acesss to a boat. I would like to go back if I could find an easier way to get down to the water.

z28pwr:
I've never been there and I'm not sure to what part we would go, I was looking around on the net and they say around 20' visibility.

I've never dove Amistad with vis that good before, even at the end of summer! 3-12 feet is what I've seen, and I've only dove in the sheltered coves. It can get ultra-clear (like Aquarena) inside the hydrilla beds, but those little pockets tend to be no more than closet-sized. One has to float above the surface to find 'em, and then dive straight down. ENORMOUS fish hang out in there.

humanphibian:
Better take out a loan for gas!

Del Rio 150 miles from S.A.
Balmorhea,......360!

however, tis the season for a

ROAD TRIP!!!!!

LOL

I did the math and in my truck it would be $105 and in my girlfriends car it would be $80 which isn't that bad, problem is the 5 hour drive each way : ( .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom