Lake Amistad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teknadv3x

Contributor
Reaction score
A couple came into the shop today and were from Abilene Tx heading to Galveston for
a cruise departure. Anyways come to find out they were diving Lake Amistad 3 weeks
ago and had 100' plus Vis. If not better. He said with all the rain this year the lake has really risen about to 75% normal cap. He thinks that has something to do with the great vis. He said there is a really bad murk layer down to 30' then "Bam" the vis just opens up. Has anyone else dove Lake Amistad recently? If so please post conditions.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Unfortunately, I've never been there. A few of us were looking into it a couple years ago, but were never able to put it together. Like you, I'll be watching to see what comes out of this thread.

I'm curious to know how the elevated lake levels will affect diving in the hydrilla beds. It might be possible to swim over them now and look for neat fish refuges, rather than skirt the sides.

If you guys plan a trek or meet-up there,,,,,I might be interested in coming along,,,,keep us posted.

I've been there but have never been diving there. We went to the lake last Spring Break and were mystified by the beautiful water and I have been dreaming about it since. There is some really cool and Bad A** cave diving that can be done there
( I'm not to that level yet) I hear You can take a Jet-Ski on the U.S. side now !! For awhile you had to be on the Mexican side to ride a personal water craft.
The Mexican food is pretty good in near by Del Rio too !!
Now we here about all of this great Visibility.... Man, I just gotta do it someday !!!

Nah, jetski's have been allowed on the U.S. side for years. That, or nobody really cared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom