Lahaina Shark Pit dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've heard of this site in Lahaina, just south of the Lahaina Harbor, but wondered if anyone had specifics for location, entry, site info etc.?

Divebuddysean and I are hoping to dive it Tuesday (if I can get details that is)

Drop me a PM if you're interested in joining us :)

Aloha, Tim

Here's the "scoop"

This is a really fun dive with a lot of diversity - Vis ranged from 15 - 80 foot at various areas of the dive and it was all quite shallow (under 40fsw) easy to get a 60-90 minute dive in here. We turned the dive at 45 minutes, but there was still lots of reef left.

Here's the basic "site" info:

Shark Pit
Location: Located on Front Street approximately 1/2 mile south of the Banyan Tree. Look for the "Beach Access" sign along the road. Parking is along the Mauka (Mountain) side of the street. Gear up at the car and then take the short walk to the beach (about 100 yards.)

The site gets it's name from a 3 sided "Pit", when you first drop down at the edge of the reef, that is frequented by reef sharks.

Facilities: Sand and Saltwater ... that's it.

Entry:Once at the beach swim out in the sand channel marked by the upright post about 50 yards off shore. Frequently there are 2 boats moored in the shallows of this channel.

Make sure you observe which way the boats are facing in the area to see the direction of the current before you head out - 75% of the time it runs northward, but it can change quickly. High tide is the best time to dive this site as the swim out over the coral is easiest then. Once you reach the edge of the shallow reef the water drops off into the "pit" which frequently has several white tips hanging out at the bottom of the pit and in the adjacent cave or under ledges and in the swim through.

Dive Plan: After dropping down into the pit, at approximately 20 depth, head south keeping the edge of the reef on your left. Follow the contour of the reef (several "fingers") Until reaching your turn pressure (be sure to plan for current if the current is running south instead of it's usual north pattern) Also be sure to count the number of "fingers" of reef or you may miss the turn back into the "pit"

Depth: 40fsw

Dangers include: Boat traffic, Shallow entry over coral and rough when there is a south swell. Current can also be swift at times.

Aloha, Tim

Yup - 2 white tips. First one was as we dropped down into the "pit" he came out of the gloom swimming straight toward me. I think I startled him as he made a "startled" looking turn and swam quickly away. When we cambe back at the end of the dive there was another one back in a cave (or the same one again - couldn't tell) Great dive site all around :)

Tim,

is this a dive that can be done without a local to guide you?
ok for a mainlander to do wit a dive buddy?

I think so - I found it the first try and it's a really hard site to get lost on. Keep the reef on your left going into the dive, and on your right on the way back.

Kind of hard to get over the reef much as it gets very shallow quick, so I stayed on the edge by the sand most of the dive.

If you use microsoft Virtual Earth search for 345 Front st. Lahaina - there is a catamaran anchored right off shore. Follow the sand channel out, the reef comes up to the surface, then drops off suddenly into the "pit" it's 3 sided, so not truly a "pit" but when you drop down into it you see how it got the name easily. (Unfortunately Google Earth has poor coverage on Maui - resolution is too low to see anything detailed :( )

If I'm free when you want to dive it I'd be happy to join you too -

Aloha, Tim

Thanks Tim... I will make the plans to dive it then... we will be there the week of Nov 5-11 so if your open that week... and if you feel up to it, we would love to dive it with you. The only real plans for the week is on Wed doing the Molokini dive.

Back
Top Bottom