LadyHawk sizing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife is in the process of getting certified and this weekend she decided to buy herself a BC which is great. She saw the ladyhawk, the shop was having a sale and so why not. Of course, because they were so busy and she is not yet fully certified she could not try it out in the pool that day for fit/function. I wasn't worried, I have dealt with this store before and they are great. They told us to keep the tags on, bring it back after her check out dives this weekend and they will let her get in the pool and check the size.

So here is the thing, by scubapro's size chart she is clearly suppose to be in a small. She is just 5'4" and about 135 but she walked out of the store with a large. Now the reason is, I suspect, is that when she tried on a smaller size the sternum strap was riding too high. To put it politely she has an ample chest and a tiny waste. So the smaller size fits her waste but rides a little high. The larger size gets the sternum strap down to a better position and the cummerbund actually gets to her waste but there is too much slack in it.

So is this a common problem or is there some adjustment that could be made??? Could it be that a large is correct? I am just thinking there is no way it could be comfortable if it is not more secure to her waste. I know we want know until she actually gets in the pool. I just hate buying stuff when i am not sure it is what you need and I hate to return something. I looked at it and can't really see any good ways to adjust it down...

Thanks

She sounds like she would fit in the small, even though she is significantly larger on top. Maybe medium at the most. I have had some unisex BC's contact my body in only one area (the chest) when inflated, and it wasn't very effective. If your wife's BC doesn't fit her waist and sides closely, she may not feel that comfortable, particularly when at the surface. I tried a Ladyhawk a couple of times and didn't find the fit great on me, but each women's BC seems to fit a particular body type. Some women's BC's will fit a particular woman well, while another is better for another body type.

If she doesn't find a size that fits/adjusts to her whole torso, perhaps she might be able to exchange the Ladyhawk for a backplate and wing? A BP & W is the most comfortable thing for a woman who is well endowed (as well as probably anyone since it's entirely adjusted to your body). I have the Halcyon Infinity and it's wonderful, although any bp & w would be similar.

Thanks Ayisha, she has a BP/W now but I think she bought the ladyhawk based on 'this looks nice'...plus her instructor is anti-BP/W so....it has been a trying situation and I just want her to be comfortable and confident in what she is using.

Maybe I can swap the ladyhawk for an A700 :)

I'm about the same size as your wife (5'4 125) and have a medium LadyHawk; their sizes just run a little small.

I'm 5' 6" tall and weight 140 pounds. I wear a medium Ladyhawk. Try adjusting the shoulder straps. The cummerbund should fit around her belly button. You might want to loosen the chest strap. Try all kinds of adjustments with the straps, but I still think the large is going to be too big. I really think a large will slosh around once she is in the water. Do you know anyone who has a medium who would be willing to let her try it on?

I am 5'6 120lbs - the lady-hawk sized me as a small; but I had to go medium.

Thanks all-we ended up taking it back without ever getting it int he water. I took my wife on a few more dives in the BP/W set up I had originally got her and she is very comfortable in it now. It wasn't a loss for the dive shop, we returned it but bought a few more things-ended up having to fork out another $90 to their favor when all was said and done :)

Back
Top Bottom