La Paz resort recommendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We'll be going to La Paz in June; trying to get onto the Fiesta liveaboard. However, they don't have enough bookings for the boat yet, and are not sure they will (anyone interested out there?)

As a backup -- and for the time before and after our cruise -- we need recommendations on a resort. I've read mixed reviews on Club Cantanmar. It sounds good because it seems like it would cost less for a combination of accommodations and diving, and it seems to be closer to the dive areas.

It sounds less than good because some people have hated it there, and because it's pretty far away from town. (When we've stayed in Cozumel, we've really liked being able to walk a few steps to the town square, and have our choice of restaurants and activities.)

Does anyone have any experience with this area? Resorts and dive operator recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

I did a REEF trip on the Don Jose liveaboard from La Paz a couple of years ago and it was fantastic! The night after the trip before flying out we stayed at Los Arcos (I think that's how it's spelled). It's a very nice hotel right downtown with lots of restarurants and shopping around. The entire trip was booked through Baja Expeditions out of San Diego. I took a spot that someone else had to vacate at the last minute so didn't have to deal with a lot of the details but the liveaboard and the hotel were both great. Anyway, you may want to check them out. Have a great trip.

You might check out the Cortez Club and La Concha Resort. www.cortezclub.com
I stayed for just one night and dove with them to El Bajo. The resort was pleasant enough. It seemed to be popular with Mexican families which was a nice change of pace from the usually American populated resorts. It is also out of town however so it may not be of interest to you. They do list some other hotels and a b & b in town so you might be able to work out a dive package with them. I was very pleased with the dive operation.

I dove with Cantamar in La Paz. They were great and had some really fun divemasters. They are very safe and have good equipment rentals. They are significantly closer to the dive sites because they are outside of town. However, they do offer a shuttle into town to hang out and relax. Have fun!

When my family and I dove with them, the shuttle ran infrequently and sometimes not at all. There were other issues (all small but they added up to a slightly unpleasant trip). If I were to do it again, I think I'd stay in town but continue to dive with Cantamar. I believe that they'll offer two-way service into town and, this way, you get a larger variety of food.

Still, I'd be open to other dive ops.

I loved Cantamar and will be staying with them again in August. We went into town once and weren't particularily impressed. If you do stay at Catamanar, there is a little restaurant on the beach which you can see across the lagoon/bay thing from the restaurant. It's a short walk and great food. Their Shrimp Imperial is shrimp spiraled together into a steack and wrapped in bacon. Amazing!!!
Otherwise, we really didn't feel the need to leave so we had a blast.
Great diving, can't wait to get back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom