La Paz or San Carlos--need help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaymi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning a trip for Sept 2005 and am interested in diving the sea of cortez. I have looked at La Paz and San Carlos. I am going with a group of 6 divers. Where is the best place to dive in the Sea of Cortez? How long are the boat rides? Recommended place to stay? Any information would be much appreciated!!!

or Loreto. Boat rides in La Paz can be an all-day affair, depending upon the operator and the site choice.

You might want to do a search in the Mexico forum for other points of view...

jaymi:
I am planning a trip for Sept 2005 and am interested in diving the sea of cortez. I have looked at La Paz and San Carlos. I am going with a group of 6 divers. Where is the best place to dive in the Sea of Cortez? How long are the boat rides? Recommended place to stay? Any information would be much appreciated!!!

The Sea of Cortez is one of my favorite places. I have done 2 trips there, and my wife has done 3.

Look at this link for some other possibilities:

Baja Expeditions

One of my favorite places is diving in Cabo San Lucas and diving the 'Arch' for you get the best of both worlds: Pacific Ocean and Sea of Cortez. I was actually thinking of going back down towards the end of September myself. The dive operation I use is called Underwater Diversions http://www.divecabo.com They are friendly, professional, and take great care of your needs. If you are going in September, you might look into diving Cabo Pulmo (Sea of Cortez) and Gordo Banks (depending on your diving experience). This is my main motive for possibly going in September.

As far as places to stay, I usually stay at the Fiesta Americana. You might want to check them out, for they have 'condos' and a group of 6 might be very inexpensive to stay there. To get to town, I hike up to the main road and catch a blue or green bus that costs about 9 pesos (beats $20 taxi ride, one way).

If you are indeed going to stay in Cabo San Lucas, then you want to catch the Mexican Fiesta that is held on Sunday or Thursday nights at a restaurant called 'The Office.' Great fun to be had and AWESOME Mango Margaritas!!!

San Carlos is a fun place to go but getting there is not as easy as La Paz or Cabo San Lucas. The diving is pretty boring except on Seal Island which is a blast. Wouldn't plan to dive more than a couple or three days though.
It's a quiet,sleepy town so not much partying if that's what you want. Restaurants are reasonable but hotel rooms are a bit pricey.

jaymi:

Hey I live here in la paz! i am a DM and a marine biologist and i can say that the best dive center that i know of is call the cortez club the staff is great, the equipment is all scubapro and mares they have over 10 boats a really cool bar, and they oparate with la concha beach resort that is in teh same place that the dive center! you can check it out at http://www.cortezclub.com
hope that it works for you!

The only reason to go to Los Cabos is a long wekend with your secretary. La Paz, Loreto and San Carlos are more laid back. I have no experince diving any of them, but La Paz is my first choice as a place to be.

The next consideration might be the ease of getting there. San Carlos has a lot of dive shops from Tucson and Phoenix that go down there, so I'am sure a bus or van trip could be found. Flights in to La Paz and Loreto are generaly found out of Los Angeles and maybe Phoenix. So that's a little tougher.

So listen to the people that have dove there for the diving.

adios don O

Also, try and figure out a deal that will allow you to bail out if a storm is coming or recently passed.

adios, don O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom