La paz or Loreto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big dog13

Reaction score
Hi all,
My Name is Chris and I just wanted to say Hi and have a question, my wife and I are going to Mex. in late July, I have priced both Loreto and La paz the cost is within 400.00(Loreto being cheaper) but we have not been to either place, so anybody with experience in either place please help us with this decision we welcome all input!
Thanks
Big dog and the shark

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

We visited and dived La Paz three years ago. I must say I was disappointed. The dives were expensive, very long rides, COLD water, and little UW life to speak of. The best part of the dives was being able to get some photos of some Sealions. Aside from that I should have saved my $$. We enjoyed the above water time much more than UW. The town of La Paz is nice and the hotel was OK.

I guess I'm spoiled by the warm water and reefs of the Carribbean.

Don't mean to be a downer!

SeaFlea:
We visited and dived La Paz three years ago. I must say I was disappointed. The dives were expensive, very long rides, COLD water, and little UW life to speak of. The best part of the dives was being able to get some photos of some Sealions. Aside from that I should have saved my $$. We enjoyed the above water time much more than UW. The town of La Paz is nice and the hotel was OK.

I guess I'm spoiled by the warm water and reefs of the Carribbean.

Don't mean to be a downer!
No downer thanks

Hi There big dog13,
Welcome to Scuba Board –One of the most informative and dedicated boards on the net. You can meet a lot of helpful people here and it’s an awesome place to get answers to your questions regarding scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me. Take care and safe diving

-Matt- :palmtree::sunny

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

big dog13:
Hi all,
My Name is Chris and I just wanted to say Hi and have a question, my wife and I are going to Mex. in late July, I have priced both Loreto and La paz the cost is within 400.00(Loreto being cheaper) but we have not been to either place, so anybody with experience in either place please help us with this decision we welcome all input!
Thanks
Big dog and the shark

I just got back (last night) from a week in La Paz. FANTASTIC. even though its off season, and the wind was blowing and the vis was low we had great diving. It's high voltage big animal stuff. We saw: Whale Sharks (yes they were in) Humpback Whales, Sea Lions, Sea Lion Pups, Manta Rays, and Hammerhead Sharks. Plus a huge amount of puffer fish, huge grouper, tuna and many other species. The wrecks there are great as well.

I used Club Cantamar and cant say enough of how good an operation it is. I am booking another trip for my shop with them for late summer.

http://www.clubcantamar.com

Regards,

JS1scuba:
I just got back (last night) from a week in La Paz. FANTASTIC. even though its off season, and the wind was blowing and the vis was low we had great diving. It's high voltage big animal stuff. We saw: Whale Sharks (yes they were in) Humpback Whales, Sea Lions, Sea Lion Pups, Manta Rays, and Hammerhead Sharks. Plus a huge amount of puffer fish, huge grouper, tuna and many other species. The wrecks there are great as well.

I used Club Cantamar and cant say enough of how good an operation it is. I am booking another trip for my shop with them for late summer.

http://www.clubcantamar.com

Regards,
Joel,
Thanks I had looked at them it looks like a great place the description says no t.v. but the pix of the rooms show a t.v. we are staying for 6 nights so we will have some down time and one can only shop so much so having a tv would be nice.
We are also going in July maybe we will see you there.
Thanks,
Big dog

big dog13:
Joel,
Thanks I had looked at them it looks like a great place the description says no t.v. but the pix of the rooms show a t.v. we are staying for 6 nights so we will have some down time and one can only shop so much so having a tv would be nice.
We are also going in July maybe we will see you there.
Thanks,
Big dog

My rooms had TV in them -- though only the ABC San Diego station and a CNN were in english --- i bring DVDs with me when i travel -- but trust me -- with 3 dives a day you will not spend much time with the TV ..

regards,

I have been to and enjoyed both, and it may depend how you feel about boats. As mentioned earlier, in La Paz, the boat rides are long, making the trip out to most sites an all day affair. The city of La Paz is quite a bit larger than Loreto, and there are quite a few dive operators.

Loreto is more laid back, with shorter trips out to the islands where the dive sites are. This is a relatively small town, and it does shut down in the heat of the middle of the day. You'd be back from your trip early afternoon, take a siesta, and then go out.

I am making plans now to visit Loreto again, probably late July...

Back
Top Bottom