La Paz or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephanie_L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Howdy all! We're planning a Mexican vacation (yippie) and La Paz looks awesome, but so does Cozumel. We've heard that there isn't any shore diving (at least any good) in either place, and that the boat rides are long. I was wondering if anyone has gone to either, if they'd like to share the pros and cons, have any suggestions on hotels, ect... Usually we ask our local dive shop, but he's stuck on a dive trip (poor him! :) ) I'd really love your opinion. Thanks all!

Both are excellent locations. Cozumel only requires boat rides of a half hour max. It's all drift diving and warm water. The cool places in the Sea of Cortez require longer trips, but you see much more diversity, Whale Sharks, big fish, sea lions. It usually hot in both places but Sea of Cortez does get a bit chilly at certain times of the year. Check with dive operator before making reservations. I love both places for different reasons, I'm a photographer so my vote would be La Paz.

My wife and I were in Lapaz in Oct. It was amazing. The whale sharks up close and personnel. Sea Lions would play with you, one put his mouth over my hand without biting it. They loved the divers. Went to three recks. Dove to see hammerheads but did not see them. The other group saw them. Very pretty place.

Boyfriend wants to see the hammers...really bad! we'll be going in the begining mnths of next year, between Jan and April. The wrecks sound awesome. I've been thinking of buying a really nice U/W camera before we go. We did 2 dives in Cozumel last year, and I wasnt very impressed. If La Paz has any good shore dives, I'd like to go there. jc, george, do you remember the hotels you stayed at and what did you think of them? Also, B/F is concerend that if my ear gives me problems, I wont have anything to do while we're in La Paz vs Cozumel.

The two places are very different. As mentioned, Cozumel is mainly drift diving and has large corals with your typical Carribean critters. It serves many cruise ships and is very diver freindly. The diving in Cozumel is good year around.

La Paz has more biodiversity, but little coral. The diving is around rock outcrops, seamounts, walls and a couple of wrecks. The town is also tourist freindly, but I fell you get more of a local feel (if that makes any sense?). The diving is more seasonal (late summer-early fall are the best).

I love both for differnet reasons. If your planning on a trip from August-November, I would go to La Paz. Any other times, I would go to Cozumel.

Hi Steph: If I'm the jc you are asking, you won't see hammer heads, at least I never have there.
Cozumel Club is a good buy for the money, food and diving is all included. Can't remember the name of the place I stay in La Paz. You will have access to medical treatment in either locations. You want hammer heads I recommend Cocos Islands and The Secorro Islands. Major live aboard long trip but worth it. In Secorro's we say so many Mantas it was like to you want to make the next dive, nah all we are going to see is Mantas again, like 20 at a time coming in for landing at an airport. The hammerheads are deep, over 100 feet, need to really know how to let a bubble out at a time or they bolt. Cocos all over the place with hammer heads.

Boyfriend wants to see the hammers...really bad! we'll be going in the begining mnths of next year, between Jan and April. The wrecks sound awesome. I've been thinking of buying a really nice U/W camera before we go. We did 2 dives in Cozumel last year, and I wasnt very impressed. If La Paz has any good shore dives, I'd like to go there. jc, george, do you remember the hotels you stayed at and what did you think of them? Also, B/F is concerend that if my ear gives me problems, I wont have anything to do while we're in La Paz vs Cozumel.

if you want to be guaranteed to see Hammerheads, you have got to do a liveaboard like Cocos or Socorro or Galapagos. Not cheap trips and nothing else to do but dive.
Socorro Liveaboard diving aboard Solmar V - Socorro Islands
Aggressor Fleet liveaboards
Undersea Hunters - Cocos Islands

people have seen hammerheads in the Bahamas but usually only by liveaboard there, too.
Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving

Jan-Apr timeframe..... not the best time for LaPaz from what I have heard. If your only choices are those two places, I would opt for Cozumel in Feb-March. If you open to other places, I would go somewhere else in Carib if you want to see any big animals (other than nurse sharks).

For La Paz i'd suggest Club Cantamar Club Cantamar, Baja California

You can either do land base or their live-aboards
"Isla Guadalupe" July-Nov cool temps best for sharks Oct/Nov

"Isla Socorro" Nov-May warmer temps mantas and sharks

PM me if you need help in booking the arrangments I would be glad to help

I am considering the same choice myslf. What i do know, is if you are looking to go between Jan and April the sea of Cortez can get windy.That could prove a big problem considering the distance to dive sites. The water is colder that time of year and th Vis is inconsistant.
Ideal time to go is late summer/early fall...
That is not to say that there aren't great dive days to be had any time of year there. just something to think about.....
hawaii is real easy to get to from california. Kona has great diving all year and plenty topside if your ears shut down......

Comparing La Paz and Cozumel are like comparing apples to oranges. they are two completely different dive locations. Cozumel has the some of the most spectacular corral reefs I have seen anywhere. The visibility is always an incredible 80-100++. Even with all the cruise ships the reef is still in good condition mainly due to the currents. As previously said, most dives are only 15 + min. from your hotel.
La Paz is a different dive location all together. It is a long boat ride (one -two hours) to most locations. Except the reef at Cabo Pulmo, most dives are rocky reefs with moderate visibility at bests (20-60 ft) Some of the best diving is done by live aboard specific times of the year. Most folks who dive La Paz are interested in Pelagic fish not coral reefs. I could compare La Paz to Pacific Coast diving and Cozumel to Caribbean diving (Caymens, Belieze etc)

Back
Top Bottom