LA/Malibu Surf Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazedone:
...I do have a catalina express commuter book sitting here, so I may go out there if the conditions are good. I know Ken was heading out there today, so I will wait to see what he has to say about the conditions.

Can't say for sure what conditions in Catalina are. Dr. Bill? What's it look like?

But they had a tornado watch there this week and the storms we got hit with came in from the North West off the ocean and should have also hit Catalina. Now they will have a lot less street run off that we would, but then they will have the hillsides draining into the ocean. Those hillsides have lots of wildlife and Buffalo with their, uh, stuff, which will color the water a bit I bet.

dazedone:
I do have a catalina express commuter book sitting here, so I may go out there if the conditions are good. I know Ken was heading out there today, so I will wait to see what he has to say about the conditions.

Ken didn't go, because he got an unexpected house guest. With out him going, and Dr. Bill's post on the 'other' scubaboard of only 2 ft vis in the park, I cancelled. However, not one to just get over it, I called the CDS at the green pier this morning at 8 am. They told me that "skies are blue, sea is flat, and I can see the bottom of the harbor!" Boy oh boy do I wish I had gone! :11:

I went diving the past two nights and last night I did a dive on the Redondo breakwall and the vis was xint in 35ft so its fully diveable in some areas but I guess most of you are more worried about the run off then the vis.

mccabejc:
Since it was such a nice day, we took a drive up the coast today thru Santa Monica and Malibu. Surf was in the 3-4 ft. range around Santa Monica, then down along Malibu Road we saw some 4-6 footers. All the way along the coast we were surprised at how brown the water was, as far as the eye could see. And it stunk, too. Not really bad, but noticeable. Very few surfers in spite of the decent waves. Made me want to swear off diving for a couple of weeks. We stopped at the Michael Landon Park across from Pepperdine, which is on the cliff right above Malibu Rd. The first photo below shows the big waves coming in to the Malibu Rd. dive spot. The second photo is a shot from down on Malibu Rd, where it meets back up with PCH.

Little Grasshopper

Many man find brown water and tall waves with camera box
but only wise man find clear water after heavy rain

stopping for picture of heavy surf brings bad qi
but driving until one find diveable conditions
allows one mind and spirit to transcend his inner pain

Xiao Shui

scottfiji:
Little Grasshopper

I was drinking a big gulp of iced tea when I read this. Went thru my nose and all over the keyboard.

scottfiji:
Little Grasshopper

Xiao Shui
Many years ago, we had Winter storms for what seemed to be an eternity. I was Jonesing so bad that one morning I headed south from Palos Verdes in search of diveable water. I turned around at Ensenada, dry again. :mad:

Hey, Scott, you're back !! How was NY ?

mccabejc:
I was drinking a big gulp of iced tea when I read this. Went thru my nose and all over the keyboard.

So you spewed all over it? :tongue:

I went diving at Shaw's. The waves have done their work there. It was a totally different experience. Shaw's has been majorly pummeled by the surf. Almost no sand left. At the bottom of the stairs, there are small boulders and rocks extending about 15 feet before you get to sand. The shallows have become longer, similar to La Jolla Shores. The waves were mostly 2 footers, but the end of the set were 4 feet. Interval was close, combined with the long wade to chest height of water, made it a requirement to time well.

We went down in 10 feet of water and played in the shallows, eventually making our way to the crevice. Tons of sand has been dug out of here, too. About 2-3 feet of newly exposed rock below the arch. Sand seems to have been deposited with in the cove, as it never got deeper than 30' all the way out to turnaround rock.

L

scottfiji:
Little Grasshopper

Xiao Shui
News Flash! ScottFiji was definitely channeling Xiao Shui when he suggested we check out the pinnacles at Pt. Dume because, "...there's very little run-off and it might be good...", (or something like that!)
So, up we go, the few, the faithful, the enthusiastic (Scott (notFiji) and best dive-partner-ever DiveCalifornia), geared and tanked, driving through downpour after downpour through Malibu...wipers on max. And, I kid you not, as we entered the parking area at Pt. Dume, the rain lessened to a light sprinkle. By the time we were briefed and geared, it was bright overcast with almost glassy water inshore with small surf. We kick out in moderate viz, which turns to good viz as we approach the pinnacles, which turns in to FAN-Flippin'-TASTIC VIZ at the pinnacles!!! 35 to 40 foot horizontal viz...the big blue room effect and the pinnacles are stuffed full of fish and critters (check out Scott's dive reports...) DiveCalifornia and I can't get each other's attention fast enough to point out the next amazing animal...including 3 painted greenlings working very actively to propagate the species...male in full breeding colors with white spots...Sharks and octopus Everywhere...circled by sea lions and diving cormorants....even a big swim through filled with big white anemones.

After diving, we drive through a DOWNPOUR to get tanks refilled while we lunch next very brown and ugly water at Dukes restaurant. Then we drive back through a DOWNPOUR to Pt. Dume....and it's GLASSY and LOVELY at the dive site!!!!!...sun reflecting silver off the sea. We have great viz (gee...only about 25 to 35 feet) in the canyon...no lights needed at 85fsw...and we surface to blazing sunlight reflecting off the brick-red cliffs.
Conclusion: When ScottFiji communes with Xiao Shui to suggest a dive site...Show up and be happy!!!! Even Sarcastic Fringeheads love him...I saw it!!..unbelievable....

Thanks, Scott....I owe you two!! Thank you for generously sharing your great site knowledge, critter info, and enthusiasm. :god:

Thanks Scott(notFiji) for your awesome enthusiasm and great stories. :jump013:

Thanks, Carlos, for being the best dive partner, ever! 80 dives together and counting ...wow... Thanks for making 100/year into a dream-come-true.
hug1.gif

Claudette

Back
Top Bottom