La Cabaña del Pescador (Lobster House)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Cozumel in January and a friend just recommended The Lobster House for dinner. I can't find an address - anyone know where on Cozumel the restaurant is? North - south? Downtown? Walking distance from town?

Thanks.:D

Perhaps your friend meant La Lobsteria?

No, they are different places. The Lobster House is north of town a ways, across the street from the old (now defunct thanks to Wilma) Cabanas del Caribe. It's a bit far to walk from town.

Thanks for input everyone. MMM - you were disappointed? Anyone else have a review of the Lobster House. Hate to make that trek up north end and not like it!

Like MMM, it's been a long time since I went to The Lobster House, probably more than a decade. I thought the Lobster was good, but the side dishes (steamed vegetables and a couple of boiled red potatoes) were tasteless and bland, and the whole experience was vastly over-priced - more than $30 for a medium large (12-14 Oz.) Caribbean Lobster Tail (which does NOT have the great flavor and texture of a cold water lobster), and that was ONLY for the entree - appetizer, salad, drinks all extra. When you add the taxi fares to get there and back (unless you are already staying up north), it was just never worth it to me to go back there. I have also eaten at La Lobsteria, and I thought the Lobster there, while expensive (about $18 for same sized tail) was both more reasonably priced and better prepared than at The Lobster House. Also, service at La Lobsteria was better and more friendly than The Lobster House. Frankly, if I have a taste for lobster now, I'll get it at Casa Mission.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2014 at 08:58 AM ----------

You get one shot with the Triple-M. Blow it and you are on a ten year time out!

I'm the same way, and I refuse to apologize for that. My trips to Cozumel are precious and rare, and my list of restaurants that I really like is already longer than my normal stay, so if I am going to give a new place a try, it means skipping a meal at one of my favorites. One bad experience is all it takes for a restaurant to go off my list, especially if it costs a lot more in taxi fares to get there. Everyone raves about Buccanos at night; I went there once for lunch, had a mediocre, overpriced meal with marginal service, and it cost me $30 in round trip taxi fares. I will NOT be going back, no matter how many people tell me that I "owe" Buccanos a second chance. I call BS on that; I don't "owe" Bucannos anything. If I've only got 7 days in Cozumel, I'll spend them in restaurants that I KNOW I like. Yes, I'll give new places a try, but with me, it's one strike and you're OUT.

Thanks for input everyone. MMM - you were disappointed? Anyone else have a review of the Lobster House. Hate to make that trek up north end and not like it!
Pretty much what DJDiverDan said. It was over-priced and underwhelming, food-wise and service-wise. If you are going to go up north for a dinner, do yourself a favour and go to Buccanos. IMO, the best restaurant on the island right now. But only open for supper on Friday and Saturday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom