L&M Tital D100 Housing ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RGist

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the process of updating my photo equipment and am looking for feedback from owners of the Light and Motion Titan D100. I have L&M Mako video housing and have been really pleased. I have not talked to many photo owners and am curious if you like the housing or would consider purchasing another one in the future. I currently have my eye on the new Titan D200 housing and would appreciate any feedback.

1. Has the Titan D100 housing been reliable?
2. Do you like the overall design and quality?
3. Would you consider the Titan D200?

I think that the Titan d200 is such an unique design that comparing it to the D100 is like comparing apples & oranges.

The d100 housing was reliable, the ROC board was iffy. Everyone that I know that used one, carries a spare ROC board.

With the Titan D200 being the highest priced D200 housing on the market, it would have to be pretty awesome for me to switch from my Subal.In fact, now that I am using the iTTL Converter, I am not sure what the L&M offers that I don't have. I think that there will be bugs to work out (like most new stuff) and I really hope the ROC system is more reliable. If I were ilooking for a housing, I would definitely give it a hard look.

Dave

dbh, thanks for your feedback. SLR housing selection is very difficult. I agree with your comments regarding the apples and oranges, but I wanted to get an idea of how it went with the previous version. I am hopeful that it will help me ask the appropriate questions regarding the new version. I will need all the info possible before I make the final decision.

Thanks!

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, currently considering.

I've used the Titan D100 for the last 3-4 years. For what it's worth I never carry a spare ROC board and have never had any problems with the ROC system. I've had to change the batteries a couple of times but that is to be expected. In fact the ROC system is one of the primary reasons I love the Titan D100. I've manage to flood one of the bulkeads twice. I think that both times it was probably my fault and the result of a dirty or old O ring. Otherwise it has been problem free.

That said, I would agree with dbh that the D200 housing is a completey different design the D200 and you probably won't gain much insight by polling D100 users. Light and Motion makes quality gear but personally I'm a bit put off by the price tag on the D200. I already own the dome port and macro port so you would think that upgrading to the D200 would be a no brainer for me but the price tag has me thinking about starting over with a new slightly less spendy system. If cost were not an issue I'd buy the D200 housing in a heartbeat. The L&M engineering and design is top notch in my opinion.

Personal speculation:
I suspect that the electronic controls that make the D200 unique will eventually be the way of the future for most housings. It makes more sense on so many levels. However, in the D200 you're essentially buying in to the first generation of this type of system. Only current D200 users are going to be able to tell you how reliable it has been for them.

RGist:
I am in the process of updating my photo equipment and am looking for feedback from owners of the Light and Motion Titan D100.
1. Has the Titan D100 housing been reliable?
2. Do you like the overall design and quality?
3. Would you consider the Titan D200?

1. Not really. My Titan housing has had the ROC controller fail four times. Once was my fault, the other three times occured during high use (liveaboard) vacations. I had a LONG talk with the head of support at L&M after my last ROC failure(#4). He told me that the ROC circuit in the D100 runs "too close to the edge", and does not do well if bumped, dropped, etc.

The D200 housing is using a standard USB interface to communicate with the camera, which I am told is simple, standard and rock solid.

2. Yes. Cold water/technical diving in the Northwest is hard on equipment, including your housing and the mechanical side of the titan housing has been flawless.

I should also add that L&M support has been awesome. They replaced the ROC control board and completely refurbished the housing at no cost, even though the housing was well out of warranty after my last board failure.

3. Yes. I'm planning on buying one next month. :D

I thought about going the Subal route, but will so much invested in ports, gears and adaptors (plus I'm used to shooting with the ROC system), it just seemed like the logical way to go. This will be my third L&M digital housing.

Of course, YMMV

Back
Top Bottom