Kume jima and tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cummje

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all. I was just wondering what any of you know about Kume jima in Okinawa. I'm thinking of visiting a fellow JET there during Golden Week. My main concern is whether or not I'll be able to rent tanks there or if I'll have to use a blasted dive shop. I'm already pissed at the shops here in Miyako because they've told the two companies that lend out tanks not to lend them to anyone other than the dive shops. It means I have to pay about ichi man to dive each time I want to go...rather than several hundred yen for a rented tank. It gets pretty expensive here--even with the discount I get. Er, anyway, I was just wondering if any of you know if it's possible to rent tanks or if anyone has any additional advice.

Oh yeah, the weather right now is so awesome here. I'm glad I'm in Miyako, but the tank situation sucks.

Cheers.

Usually dive Kume from our own boat based on Okinawa honto but there are a few shops on Kume. Tank rental on the outer islands here can be quite pricey or not available. I will make some calls and see if I can find anything.

Oh, thanks! BTW, I wanted to update my whining and complaining about Miyako. Turns out I've been deceived all along here. I talked to several shops about where to get tanks in Miyako and was repeatedly told that I can't rent them. I finally found someone that set things straight and I even got them to introduce me (made it a lot cheaper) There's a company here called Maru Kin that does tanks for 1500 yen a pop. Too expensive for me. The one I was introduced to is called MMC or Miyako Marine Center. They normally do tanks for 2000 yen, but if introduced, will knock the price down to 1000 yen. I'm actually paying 500 yen a tank, but they were angry, and told me so, that I was told the price is 500 yen. Apparently that's the shop price. If any of you come to Miyako, let me know, I'll help you get in touch (I just can't promise 500 yen a tank).

Back
Top Bottom