Kri Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarzana

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello out there!
I searched the forums but found nada on Kri Island, Papua (Irian Jaya). Was contemplating going to Kri for a week and stay at the Kri Eco Resort. Anyone ever been there? It is a bit on the rustic side which I can handle but seems a bit pricey. Are there other options for staying on land and diving hte area?
Tarzana

Have a look at this website : http://www.iriandiving.com/Resort-Kri-Eco.html

I have been to Irian Jaya and Kri Island but was on a boat and didn't stay on the islands. When I was there the resort on Kri Island was still owned by a Dutch fellow (Max Ammer) who pioneered the area and basically was the first to bring the exceptional diving of Irian Jaya to the attention of the rest of the diving world. Don't hesitate to book a trip to Irian Jaya (either at Eco Resort or on a boat) even when it all is a bit expensive.
The diving is FANTASTIC and there are many great dive sites just around Kri Island and even on the reefs of Kri Island itself. In fact; one of the best "fishy" dives is of the point of Kri Island.
If there's ONE place in the world where you shouldn't worry too much about spending $$ for your dive trip then it's Irian Jaya; it will be MORE than worth it.

Hello Bowmouth,

Thanks for the info. I will probably book with the Kri Eco Dive resort but would not mind looking at some possibilities on a liveaboard in the area for about the same time frame. Which outfit did you go out with there in Irian Jaya?

Do you remember any particular dive sites not to miss in the Kri area besides the one at the point?

Also I noticed that you have been diving a lot in Asia. Which are your favorite dive spots in this area?

tarzana

I dived for three weeks in Irian Jaya and was on a private sail/diving boat. I did visit Kri Island and talked to Max Ammer who was the owner of the resort at that time.
There are MANY great sites in Irian Jaya and you could ask the resort to take you to Melissa's Gardens, Sardine Reef and the second World War P-51 fighetrplane.

I also did a jungle trip to see the red bird of paradise. It was fun, we saw besides the paradise birds lots of other birds and animals and beautiful jungle as well.

Taking a Liveaboard in Irian Jaya is a great idea too. You'll be able to do more dives and see a larger area than being in the resort.

My favorite spots in Asia are Ko Tachai and Richelieu Rock in Thailand, Lembeh Straits and Bangka Island in North Sulawesi, Pulau Chebeh and Pulau Tenggol off the EastCoast of Peninsular Malaysia and Western Rocky and 3-Islets in Myanmar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom